My mum!

chloefosters

Feb 19, 2024
My mum had dementia she’s at the stage of putting everything in her mouth and not being able to talk at all really, she says afew words randomly but they never have any meaning. She spits out most of the food you give her my dads whole life is committed to looking after her and he has no life now she can’t be left alone ever which means when he does go out it’s my responsibility to take care of her as she will cause some kind of caos, i’m 17 and my mums 52 i wonder if anyone else my age is going thought this

DeeCee7

Oct 13, 2023
Hello @chloefosters I am glad you have found this forum, as there are lots of people on here who can advise you. I saw you answered @ClareMJ which is a good start. Apparently if you put the @ before their name, it sends them an alert, so they can answer. You are very young to be a carer, but of course you want to help your dad. Does your mum have a social worker you can talk to? And have your mum and dad had care assessments, so that they can get some outside support? You and your dad can’t manage on your own, and shouldn’t have to.
I am sure others will be along soon with more advice. Keep in touch.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
My wife got early onset AZ and I/we took the difficult decision to pack our youngest off to live with his big sister 150 miles away at aged 16.
Big sister has been his "mum" for half his life now, worked for us but I wouldn't like any of them to see some of the things I had to cater for, just so happy my/our kids didn't have to live with it.
Don't feel guilty and take care. K

ClareMJ

Jan 5, 2024
Hi Chloe, so sorry to hear about your situation. Would be happy to chat more. In a way I am lucky as my parents are split up, so I can get a break at my Dads house.

ClareMJ

Jan 5, 2024
My wife got early onset AZ and I/we took the difficult decision to pack our youngest off to live with his big sister 150 miles away at aged 16.
Big sister has been his "mum" for half his life now, worked for us but I wouldn't like any of them to see some of the things I had to cater for, just so happy my/our kids didn't have to live with it.
Don't feel guilty and take care. K
So sorry to hear you are going through this. It must be so hard with children. Thanks for sharing your experience, it is comforting. Take care