My Mum

Debblaze

May 22, 2018
hi all

I’m new to this site. My mum has been struggling for a while with her memory she is nearly 75 and seems to be more noticeable when she had a knee replacement last Oct however did have complications. She passed a memory test at gp a year ago but I took her again two months ago which she failed, she also had a UTI at the time so they repeated and failed again. I persuaded go to refer to memory clinic which he did in April and I’ve just called them to learn there is a three month waiting list.

I visit my mum before and after work everyday as they take care of my dog while I’m working, they also have their own dog. I would walk in to my father crying and my mum distressed anxious or shouting at Dad. He went away to play golf for a few days he needed a break and is due back today so I have been staying with Mum. She is on some depression tablets that’s shes been on for many years (well they had to change a few months back as it affected her sodium levels). I’ve noticed a further decline in her short term memory and she is very low at times along with being anxious and tearful and struggled with my dad not being there. He usually goes away once a year so it’s not new but she’s not liked it at all this time. She wakes at 4am most morning anxious so gp has prescribed zopiclone to help her sleep. She also has urgency to pee and just had a course of anti biotics.
I’m concerned about plying her with more medication ?
Also, they have quite a big house and struggling to do the chores or it’s left to my dad, we’ve mentioned about buying a bungalow but I’m concerned the change may make her worse? Also thinking of buying a house with an annexe so she is close to me but I have two siblings and concerned they will want me to sell the house when my parents go. Does anyone know where we would stand with this and if we would also need to pay for care when and if she needs it. Please don’t think this is about money, I’m the one who sorts everything out and I want to do the best for her without taking over?

Sorry for the long post x

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Debblaze, you are welcome here and I hope you will find the forum friendly and supportive. No need to apologise for the long post.

You are obviously doing a lot at the moment and I see you are awaiting an assessment for your mum.

In view of your general concerns the best place to go now is possibly to SS as any vulnerable adult and their carer has a right to a needs assessment. Here is a link to an AS Factsheet about the issue, which I hope you find useful https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/sites...assessment_for_care_in_support_in_england.pdf