My Mum thinks she's a bird.

NickyNoo

Oct 3, 2019
Hello! Just wanted to pick your brains re my Mum. A few months ago we started to notice that Mum seemed to be getting dementia but it went from vascular dementia to something else when she started going on about a bird after she took a nasty fall in her home. According to her this bird apparently came out from the washing machine cupboard, and with the machine, the bird propelled her forward and she fell. She keeps on and on about this bird (it changes as to what type it is) and just other day she said that the bird killed her friend J (she had a stroke) and then Mum started to say she was having bird poo, and today in the loo showed me her toilet paper and said "look bird poo" Also a couple of times she's said I'm a bird. She's very upset about it too, keeps crying etc. Any ideas or suggestions as to how I can help her cope? Thanks.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Welcome to TP, @NickyNoo.
That sounds like a elaborate confabulation to explain to your mum's own mind why she fell. OF course vascular dementia can also have similar symptoms to other forms of dementia depending on which part of the brain is being affected by vessel damage, from what a doctor at the carers groups told me yesterday. https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/about-dementia/types-dementia/vascular-dementia might help you.
The other thing that occurs to me if you have not already eliminated it is to check your mum for a UTI at her surgery, or the possibility she had a TIA when she fell. I'm not sure if the GP or hospital can confirm the latter possibility, but it is worth getting her checked.

NickyNoo

Oct 3, 2019
Welcome to TP, @NickyNoo.

Thanks, she's been checked for UTIs - negative. And she has a pace maker, and is under hospital care and hasn't had a TIA. She keeps asking what's wrong with her, I don't want to tell her she's got dementia. It's really upsetting for Dad too. Thanks

MrCanuck

Jun 9, 2016
Ontario, Canada
Could your mom still be in some pain from the fall? Pain can often exacerbate dementia symptoms and a PWD may not be able to fully express what pain they may be feeling.

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
Hello! Just wanted to pick your brains re my Mum. A few months ago we started to notice that Mum seemed to be getting dementia but it went from vascular dementia to something else when she started going on about a bird after she took a nasty fall in her home. According to her this bird apparently came out from the washing machine cupboard, and with the machine, the bird propelled her forward and she fell. She keeps on and on about this bird (it changes as to what type it is) and just other day she said that the bird killed her friend J (she had a stroke) and then Mum started to say she was having bird poo, and today in the loo showed me her toilet paper and said "look bird poo" Also a couple of times she's said I'm a bird. She's very upset about it too, keeps crying etc. Any ideas or suggestions as to how I can help her cope? Thanks.
My mother-in-law had various issues like this. She often used to say there was a huge spider in the bedroom. My husband would vacuum under the bed and around the house, saying that everything was ok now. After that we never heard anymore about it. As others have said, sounds like a confabulation

NickyNoo

Oct 3, 2019
Hi @NickyNoo welcome from me to.

This sounds like a very distressing situation for both you and your mum. I don’t really know what to suggest but I wonder if talking to an Admiral Nurse would help. They are there to support carers of PWD.
/QUOTE]
Thanks. Will look into that.

NickyNoo

Oct 3, 2019
Could your mom still be in some pain from the fall? Pain can often exacerbate dementia symptoms and a PWD may not be able to fully express what pain they may be feeling.
I don't believe that to be the case, it was some time ago now. She's quite good at expressing when she's in pain.
Thank you for your reply.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hi @NickyNoo . This is a misidentification syndrome - in the same category as Capgras syndrome, which is where you think that your home, or relatives arnt the real ones, and that there is another one (which is exactly the same) somewhere else and is something seen quite often on here. Ive never actually come across this before, but Ive heard of it - its called Clinical lycanthropy, which is where you think you are turning, or have turned, into an animal. It must be incredibly distressing. I wouldnt try and argue with her, Id try as far as possible to ignore it, make neutral reassuring noises when she starts on about it and try and change the subject.

NickyNoo

Oct 3, 2019
Hi @NickyNoo . This is a misidentification syndrome - in the same category as Capgras syndrome, which is where you think that your home, or relatives arnt the real ones, and that there is another one (which is exactly the same) somewhere else and is something seen quite often on here. Ive never actually come across this before, but Ive heard of it - its called Clinical lycanthropy, which is where you think you are turning, or have turned, into an animal. It must be incredibly distressing. I wouldnt try and argue with her, Id try as far as possible to ignore it, make neutral reassuring noises when she starts on about it and try and change the subject.
Thank you, that is so helpful to know. When she said that the other day I said "you're my Mum and I love you"
She's been really lucid these past few days, which has been lovely. Appreciate your comments. Xx