My mother is sleeping a lot during the day

Bingoyeti

Mar 10, 2017
Exeter
My mother, 87, diagnosed 2 years ago, has recently started sleeping for most of the day. She still sleeps at night, but when I ask about her sleeping she says she is just tired. The doctor has done tests, and found nothing. She very rarely eats at the table now or dresses, is losing contact with friends and the dog misses her company. Should I be worried? Is this just normal for 'old'?

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
My mother, 87, diagnosed 2 years ago, has recently started sleeping for most of the day. She still sleeps at night, but when I ask about her sleeping she says she is just tired. The doctor has done tests, and found nothing. She very rarely eats at the table now or dresses, is losing contact with friends and the dog misses her company. Should I be worried? Is this just normal for 'old'?

I'm not sure how typical this is, but at the same age and stage my mum started to do this too. She would just get up and wander out of the living room, without saying anything, and 5 minutes later I'd find her tucked up in bed napping fully dressed. Cleaners and carers also reported finding her in bed when she would normally have been up and about.

I sometimes thought it was because that was where she felt safest.

lemonjuice

Jun 15, 2016
England

I would say that could be perfectly 'normal' for someone in their 80s with dementia. I know my mother has periods of sleeping nearly all the time, particularly during the shorter days and then will have periods where she hardly sleeps at all. That has been 'normal' for the past 3-4 years, so I wouldn't worry too much, just yet.

father ted

Aug 16, 2010
London
My Mum is 91, diagnosed 6 years ago. She no longer sits at table for meals and wants them on her lap. Most of her friends have died but the few that are still alive she seems to have no interest in speaking to them on the phone or visiting them. Doesn't actually sleep but 'naps' during the day and takes sleeping pill at night. She is not unwell but has arthritis that bothers her. Everyone that I know that has a relative of a similar age says the same thing. AnnoDomini I think.