My husband has vascular dementia of who i care for. Lately he has been sleeping a lot day and night and difficult to wake up. All vitals are fine. 85y

Gitta

May 3, 2023
My husband has vascular dementia of who i care for. Lately he has been sleeping a lot day and night and is difficult to wake up. All vitals are fine. 85yrs now. Is this normal?

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
i would contact the doctor just in case of a uti, any other conditions anaemia, just to rule out things. how long has he had it? my husband has had vascular dementia for 4 years, diagnosed 3 years and he can sleep for england. all night but some of the day too.

Gitta

May 3, 2023
i would contact the doctor just in case of a uti, any other conditions anaemia, just to rule out things. how long has he had it? my husband has had vascular dementia for 4 years, diagnosed 3 years and he can sleep for england. all night but some of the day too.
Thank you. No he doesn't have a uti. Was recently checked. Neither does he have anaemia. Forgot to mention that he has parkinsons due to TIA's. Also has han a stroke one year ago.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Gitta my dad (with dementia) could sleep a lot and deeply. I think it’s partly an age thing as my Grandmother, in her 90s no dementia, used to drop off to sleep in her chair regularly - but always denied doing it!

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
My mother had Alzheimer's and she had several sleepy phases, where she slept up to 18 hours a day. I found that overall she did sleep more. She was only 64 when she was diagnosed and it was probably a year or so later that she had her first extended sleeping phase. I have always personally thought it was her way of escaping the AD.