My husband has got Alzheimer's

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
Hi @drakey , yes people with dementia can claim for Attendance Allowance.
It’s quite a length form to complete and some people have found the CAB or Age UK have been able to support them with this.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @drakey and welcome to Dementia Support Forum our friendly and helpful community. The eligibility criteria for Attendance Allowance are set out below. I claimed on behalf of my wife who has Alzheimer's Disease. She was awarded the lower rate initially (related to care during the day) but - as her needs grew - I later claimed successfully for the higher rate (care needed at night). The application form is long and rather repetitive. It does help to know the best form of words to use. The Council Welfare Rights Officer helped with my initial claim.

I have included a link to the official guidance and claim form at the bottom of this message.

Eligibility:

You can get Attendance Allowance if you’ve reached State Pension age and the following apply (unless you might have 12 months or less to live):

- you have a physical disability (including sensory disability, for example blindness), a mental disability (including learning difficulties), or both

- your disability is severe enough for you to need help caring for yourself or someone to supervise you, for your own or someone else’s safety

- you have needed that help for at least 6 months

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
I seem to remember my getting Disability Living Allowance (in England) rather than Attendance Allowance.
K