My Grandads moods

vickib30

Jun 20, 2018
Hi im just wondering my grandads moods seem to be getting worse. He has mid stages of alzheimers and also vascular dementia. Me my brother and my aunt when she comes down to visit on weekends help him out. He isnt bad enough for a carer yet we dont think. We can tell him to do simple things like ask him to take his plate to kitchen and ge will go in a mood saying things like hes had enough. Im going to end it and swears at you. Its upsetting to see im just wondering if its normal and is there anyone i can talk to please

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hi im just wondering my grandads moods seem to be getting worse. He has mid stages of alzheimers and also vascular dementia. Me my brother and my aunt when she comes down to visit on weekends help him out. He isnt bad enough for a carer yet we dont think. We can tell him to do simple things like ask him to take his plate to kitchen and ge will go in a mood saying things like hes had enough. Im going to end it and swears at you. Its upsetting to see im just wondering if its normal and is there anyone i can talk to please
Yes, such reactions can be common. Don't underestimate the influence of things like apathy, anxiety and depression in a person with dementia. My wife has to be treated for these things alongside her Alzheimer's meds. There is an AS Factsheet about this issue and you can find that by following this link https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/sites...ownloads/factsheet_depression_and_anxiety.pdf

If you think it would help to talk to someone, the experts on the help line are available every day and the details are
National Dementia Helpline
0300 222 11 22
Our helpline advisers are here for you.
Helpline opening hours:
Monday to Wednesday 9am – 8pm
Thursday and Friday 9am – 5pm
Saturday and Sunday 10am – 4pm

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member