• All threads and posts regarding Coronavirus COVID-19 can be found in our area specifically for Coronavirus COVID-19 discussion.

    You can directly access this area >here<.

My Father is wandering


New member
Aug 6, 2022
Hi Everyone

I am from the UK and my father has been diagnosed with Alzheimers. He is 86 and lives alone. Dad has progressed pretty rapidly and twice in the space of 3 weeks has ended up at a police station 8 miles from his home around midnight. He has voluntarily walked into the station, the first time saying he was lost… he was looking for his home of 30 years ago and again last night saying that my son who is a police officer has arrested him. He carries a bag with him which has a diary with phone numbers so they were able to contact my son who then contacted me. The first time I drove to the Police Station and took him home.

I am currently on holiday until Sunday in France and my son is also away in the USA. My daughter who doesn’t live with me has spent the weekend at my house and was called by the police around midnight to say they were dropping him around. They refused to take him home, even though i spoke to them and asked them too. So he had to stay last night downstairs on the sofa as I was worried if he was put in the spare room upstairs he could potentially wander and not know where he was and fall down the stairs. My daughter will need to take him home this morning as he has a daily nurse visit to give him his medication.

Currently social services are saying that he cannot be forced into residential care if he doesn’t want to go. So I am not sure where to go next. He is due to have his living conditions assessed but I’m waiting for a date. Because he has voluntarily walked onto the police station they say he still has capacity.

I have Power of Attorney for finance only.. not welfare.

Can anyone give me some advice on what I should be doing.

Thank you.


Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Welcome to the forum. I’m so sorry to read about your dad’s situation. It must be so worrying for you.

I would contact the Social Services and ask for you dad’s need to be formally re-assessed. Stress that your father is a vulnerable adult and in danger when he does this. The police will have recorded their involvement and this will have been brought to the attention of the social work department too so their concerns will be on record.

I’m glad you’ve found this forum. I’m sure you’ll find lots of understanding and support here.


Registered User
Oct 17, 2015
This might or might not apply to your Dad as every person is different but my mum only "wandered" when she had an infection. Antibiotics stopped it.

The police should be referring him to SS as a safeguarding issue. If they haven't done that someone from the family needs to do it, as the poster above said.


Registered User
Aug 30, 2013
Whilst he has "capacity" get the Health and welfare POA applied for.
It does help with Dr's etc.