My father in law

onyeocha

May 15, 2024
My father in law has been living with us for over a year, coming up to a year and a half. He’s moved over from Africa due to early onset dementia and other health issues and has pre-settled status as a family member of a settled EU person (me). As he’s over 74, he would only be eligible for pension credit and no other benefits. He has no other income and I am his carer (I do not get any allowance for this) and it’s a big financial strain as we also have a mortgage and soon 2 small kids. He’s just received a letter to say they are denying his right to pension credit as my husband previously mistakenly mentioned he had a property back home. This hasn’t been his property for almost 8 years now and we don’t have much of any documentation about this but he’s not getting any kind of income from anywhere. He gets irregular small payments from one of his daughters but nothing else and the burden is getting a lot for us. I also don’t qualify for carer’s allowance until he gets pension credit. Has anyone dealt with a similar property issue or requesting a review of the decision?

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello @onyeocha and welcome to the Dementia Support Forum. I am sorry to read about your father in law and his health issues.
This sounds like a complicated issue regarding the eligibility of pension credit and the possible ownership of property in Africa and I would suggest that you contact the Alzheimer's Society's helpline to discuss this with them. I have attached a link below. Would one of his children still living in Africa be able to track any further documentation to prove that he no longer owns property there as that might simplify things.