My Dad is Hallucinating, Could he have Alzheimer's

rasher

Sep 2, 2014
Templepatrick, Co.Antrim
Hi everyone
Im Al, I , along with my Mother, Sister and Brother are going through a bit of a knightmare with my Dad. He's nearly 70 and lives in the country with my mum. He's a quiet man and is very able bodied and still works as a plasterer and looks after finch's and other birds in his spare time. His Mum died with Dementia and I've just found out that she had brothers who had mental health issues as well. Basically they were taken away young as there was a stigma attached in them days.

Anyway, about 2 or 3 yrs ago he went quiet on us all, citing that he had drove past a local village and swears he saw someone looking and talking about him that he had done wrong in his past. Anyway, long story short when he was 18 he kissed a girl who was 16 :) and I think due to the way the media and the world talk about paedophile's etc, he thinks he done the worst thing ever. Anyway , he was eventually convinced that this man was not talking behind his back and that he imagined it.

Anyway, about a year ago he told my Sister that he saw a ghost? There is an old 2 story house about 200 yrds from his house and which incidentally happens to look like the spookiest place ever lol. He said this women turned around and looked at him then she disappeared through the hedge. He drove his van straight up to the field and there was no one there. We were not sure what to think but none of us linked this with the previous episode especially since I'm a believer in the paranormal.

Ok, so now onto present day, about 2 months ago my Sister called to say he knows my mum is having an affair with a man that he knows of. He says that he waits until he's asleep and sneaks into my mums room (they no longer share a bed due to sleep problems although the relationship was never very good to be honest). So, he says that this guy is like Usian Bolt and he's so quick he gets away from my dad every time even though the guy in question is 70 and overweight:) He has been up all night and locks all the doors in the house, he has been referred by his GP to a private counsellor but this does not appear to be working. I was told that the other night he cut a hole in the blinds in my mums room and stood outside looking in and swears he seen the man beside her as clear as day even though it was 3am. He burst into the room and scared my mum to death, she drove to my brothers house til 6am. He gets angry when people tell him he's imagining it although he swears he wouldn't harm our mum. This is an Hallucination now, as he says he actually seen the guy. I thought he was delusional?? So they called the doc on call who gave him some pils and referred him to a mental health crisis team who are now out every night evaluating him. The team said that they find it very unusual that he is not showing any other symptoms , like memory loss, speech problems, or anything unusual at all? He's basically quite sound of mind when he's at work although he's been really off with mum for obvious reasons he has.

Can someone help shed any light on these bizarre symptoms, could they be related to Alzheimer's. Any help is much appreciated as we are all very concerned for my mum and him. I live 60 miles away so its not easy as I have my own kids and busy job. My Sister has been shouldering nearly all of it up till now and I don't even know whether to start talking about it to him. PS They are sending him for a brain scan also. Many Thanks in Advance

Al

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Hi Al

Well of course it could be dementia but equally, if it's only (sorry but you know what I mean) hallucinations then it could equally be something else. In fact, probably more likely to be something else I feel. Alzheimer's and other dementia's can produce hallucinations, but they generally have other symptoms as well. So I can see why the team is confused.

At least he's having a brain scan. Hopefully that will provide some clues for you.

I do feel very sorry for you all particularly your mother: living with someone who is convinced you are having an affair with another person must be awful. Have you made sure that she has an exit strategy? Your father may be the nicest man in the world, but whatever is causing these delusions may well effect other parts of his reasoning, so your mother needs to be able to get away from him (out of the house, to a lockable room - both with access to a mobile phone) if he goes furtehr.

rasher

Sep 2, 2014
Templepatrick, Co.Antrim
Hi Al

Well of course it could be dementia but equally, if it's only (sorry but you know what I mean) hallucinations then it could equally be something else. In fact, probably more likely to be something else I feel. Alzheimer's and other dementia's can produce hallucinations, but they generally have other symptoms as well. So I can see why the team is confused.

At least he's having a brain scan. Hopefully that will provide some clues for you.

I do feel very sorry for you all particularly your mother: living with someone who is convinced you are having an affair with another person must be awful. Have you made sure that she has an exit strategy? Your father may be the nicest man in the world, but whatever is causing these delusions may well effect other parts of his reasoning, so your mother needs to be able to get away from him (out of the house, to a lockable room - both with access to a mobile phone) if he goes furtehr.

Hi Jennifer

Many thanks for the response. He took his tablet and was fine last night so hopefully it calms down a bit. As for my mother having a getaway plan she has her own mobile and her car is right outside waiting to go. He is not violent really but I understand where you are coming from. Thanks again

Al