My Dad has just been diagnosed at 67 years old

Lindsey79

Sep 18, 2020
Hi I have just discovered this forum. My dad is only 67 and today we got a diagnosis of Alzheimer’s. He lives in his own world and speaks to people who aren’t there. He had an MRI scan and had a MTA score of 3 is this bad? I’m a bit lost.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @Lindsey79.

I’‘m Sorry to hear about your dad’s diagnosis but I’m so glad you a have found this forum. You will get lots of help and support here.

I’m not sure what the MTA is but no doubt others will be along who will recognise this.

I’m sure you must be feeling very lost and at sea having just had the diagnosis today. There’s lots of information on this forum and perhaps this would be of help-

There are some practical things you need to get in place if you haven’t already done so. One of these is to ensure that you have powers of attorney in place -

I don’t want to bombard you with links but I know you will get lots of support here. Please just ask anything that comes to mind and use the forum to share your thoughts and concerns.

Wishing you strength.

Lindsey79

Sep 18, 2020
Thank you Izzy, these are very helpful thank you. We started the process of lasting power of attorney straight away today.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Here's another link you might find helpful as time goes on -

Up the Creek

Sep 9, 2020
East Anglia
Hi Lindsey79,

I’m new here too and there will be others along soon better placed than I am to give you their experiences and suggestions.

In the meantime, I have had a look at my mum’s recent scan and I can see a heading medial temporal lobe atrophy which I am guessing is MTA. On the diagnosis my Mum too has a score of 3. This is a score of 1-4 with 4 being the poorest. She too has what I call her imaginary friends. She was seeing children playing in our garden but that seems to have subsided since she was prescribed Memantine but she still thinks people on TV and book/magazine covers are interacting with her.

There is a lot of information here and I’m grateful that I joined, as I am sure you will too ?

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuzieMK27