my beautiful nana

terryberry

Jan 28, 2011
I lost my nana at the beginnig of the week, she suffered dementia since her late 50's, she was 75 when she passed. This has been the worst thing i have ever been through, she didnt know us, she stopped eating and drinking till she was too weak to fight any more. she lost the ability to talk and even walk, she has been a shell of her former self for so many years, but so difficult to see. sitting with her when she passed and not being able to help her, i just am finding this so difficult to deal with. i feel i have let her down.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
I am so sorry to hear of your loss and it is difficult to find words of comfort at such a sad time.

Please do not feel you have let your Nan down. It sounds the opposite to me as you have sat with her as her health failed. Its not your fault that she had dementia and you should be patting yourself on the back for supporting her. I am sure she would be very proud of you.

Have you thought of asking your GP if he can refer you to a bereavement counsellor - it may be what you need.

terryberry

Jan 28, 2011
Thank you, im just having a terrible day,feel so sad, she was a wonderful lady, and she couldnt do anything,she just lay in bed not talking or moving, and it seems she just starved in the end,just seems so cruel. she deserved so much more. sorry.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Such a long illness with so much suffering. I`m so sorry. I can imagine the pain you`ve felt for so many years. xx

Logan

Nov 1, 2010
To be able to hold a loved ones hand as they passed is one of the most caring and lovingly things you will ever be able to do in life. In my view it is an honour and great privilege and I was given that when my Dad passed. These are very early days in your grieving process. I hope that as each and every day passes you will begin to feel a little better and those wonderful and beautiful memories which you have will stay with you forever. Lx

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
I am so sorry to hear of your loss Terryberry:( Please accept my sincere condolences.

I know how traumatic some endings are. My husband's death was extremely traumatic. Talking Point is here for you in your loss for as long as you need.

Love

speedy1

Jan 28, 2011
london
from the heart

so sorry,i really truly feel for you.my mum is suffering from dementia and we were really close,i can only try to imagine how you feel,it's comforting to express your feelings out loud and to know someone is listening and wants to listen that has an idea of what your going through,you cared and she know,s that even if she could not express that to you.

Last edited: