Mum's car

Clarrisa

Dec 24, 2022
Good morning,
I hope I can get some practical advice here?

My mum was driving before she became unwell and me and my siblings are insured on her car to drive her around etc. She isn't driving now. The insurance is due for renewal. Do I need to take her off the ownership of the car as she is still a named driver? I spoke to the insurers and they said I now need to change over the ownership of the car...

Has anyone else had to do that or can you still have a person listed as a driver even though they won't ever be driving the car?
Thanks
Clarrisa

fromnz123

Aug 2, 2019
UK
Hi, our car is still in my husband’s name, but the insurance is in my name just for me to drive.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Do I need to take her off the ownership of the car as she is still a named driver? I spoke to the insurers and they said I now need to change over the ownership of the car...
You should change registered keeper of the car and insure it in the name of one of you (two could be cheaper) with the others as named drivers.
Choose the person with the best insurance profile, age/occupation/years no claim/...

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
By the way - changing the registered keep is not the same as changing ownership.
If you change your mums cars registered keeper it just means that this is the person who is driving it, not who owns it

(I hope Ive expressed that clearly - bad brain fog today)

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Hello.
yes I’ve been through that. We changed the registered keeper to myself and took out insurance in my name.
mum retains ownership and pays the bills as the car is solely used for her outings. I wasnt expecting to have to do that so it knocked me a little but easily sorted.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
The registered keeper is responsible for insuring the car is taxed, insured, and if required has an MOT.
They will received notice of any traffic or parking offences.

Clarrisa

Dec 24, 2022
You should change registered keeper of the car and insure it in the name of one of you (two could be cheaper) with the others as named drivers.
Choose the person with the best insurance profile, age/occupation/years no claim/...

Thanks - that's very helpful. I think it's a straightforward process given that we have POA as well.

Clarrisa

Dec 24, 2022
By the way - changing the registered keep is not the same as changing ownership.
If you change your mums cars registered keeper it just means that this is the person who is driving it, not who owns it

(I hope Ive expressed that clearly - bad brain fog today)
Thanks. Very clear @canary as you always are. I often read your answers. Hope you're feeling better.

Clarrisa

Dec 24, 2022
Hello.
yes I’ve been through that. We changed the registered keeper to myself and took out insurance in my name.
mum retains ownership and pays the bills as the car is solely used for her outings. I wasnt expecting to have to do that so it knocked me a little but easily sorted.
I know what you mean - there is so much to do. Thanks for your response.

Wildflowerlady

Sep 30, 2019
Just renewed my car insurance this morning and it's a bit annoying it's gone up from the renewal price simply because I needed to change a detail to single from partner as my partner passed away December year. He was never insured on my policy as did not drive.

Veritas

Jun 15, 2020
Good morning,
I hope I can get some practical advice here?

My mum was driving before she became unwell and me and my siblings are insured on her car to drive her around etc. She isn't driving now. The insurance is due for renewal. Do I need to take her off the ownership of the car as she is still a named driver? I spoke to the insurers and they said I now need to change over the ownership of the car...

Has anyone else had to do that or can you still have a person listed as a driver even though they won't ever be driving the car?
Thanks
Clarrisa
I was told that someone who doesn't have a driving licence (even if they don't use it) can't have an insurance policy in their name, but the car can still be owned and kept by your mother.