MUM

Boboozie

Mar 4, 2018
Hi everyone
Having found a nice Care Home for Mum (but nothing definite yet) and after making phone call after phone call about being really
concerned with my Mums very fast deterioration with her Dementia and her safety.
A week ago Mum had a fall at home and ended up in Hospital. Luckily no broken bones.
Very dehydrated with UTI had made her confusion worse of course. Have met with the Frailty Team
who agree with us that she now cannot live alone anymore. We are now waiting for her Social Service Worker to meet and assess her and see where we go from there!!
Being in Hospital Is making her confusion worse and she is so bored.
I am racking my brains to try and think of something she can do. I took her a Word Search in thinking
she may be able to do it. But she really has not a clue.
Anyone! have any ideas for me. My heart is breaking seeing her this way and not being able to think
of anything to help her.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hi everyone
Having found a nice Care Home for Mum (but nothing definite yet) and after making phone call after phone call about being really
concerned with my Mums very fast deterioration with her Dementia and her safety.
A week ago Mum had a fall at home and ended up in Hospital. Luckily no broken bones.
Very dehydrated with UTI had made her confusion worse of course. Have met with the Frailty Team
who agree with us that she now cannot live alone anymore. We are now waiting for her Social Service Worker to meet and assess her and see where we go from there!!
Being in Hospital Is making her confusion worse and she is so bored.
I am racking my brains to try and think of something she can do. I took her a Word Search in thinking
she may be able to do it. But she really has not a clue.
Anyone! have any ideas for me. My heart is breaking seeing her this way and not being able to think
of anything to help her.
I'm sorry for your situation.
If its any comfort, your Mum's confusion may improve a little one the UTI is under control and she gets out of hospital.
I do word search puzzles with my wife, who has Alzheimer's. I also do spot the difference puzzles with her - she doesn't like them but they're easier than the word search puzzles and pass the time.

Boboozie

Mar 4, 2018
I'm sorry for your situation.
If its any comfort, your Mum's confusion may improve a little one the UTI is under control and she gets out of hospital.
I do word search puzzles with my wife, who has Alzheimer's. I also do spot the difference puzzles with her - she doesn't like them but they're easier than the word search puzzles and pass the time.

Thank you. Mum is not on a drip anymore so UTI has cleared up. I think that sitting in the Hospital and doing nothing is making her memory worse. I did think about taking her a colouring book and crayons ??

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Thank you. Mum is not on a drip anymore so UTI has cleared up. I think that sitting in the Hospital and doing nothing is making her memory worse. I did think about taking her a colouring book and crayons ??
Yes, I have seen coloring books suggested and I would go with that. Good luck to you both.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Good morning @Boboozie.

I'm sorry to hear about your mum. I can understand how heartbreaking it must be for you.

My husband liked colouring books. It didn't matter if he didn't colour the pictures in properly. They gave him a focus. I also liked that it was something I could chat to him about. I used to ramble on about the picture and suggest colours etc.

There are lots of adult colouring books about these days. I used this site for activities for Bill and they do colouring books.

https://www.active-minds.org/uk/dementia-art-activities/colouring-books/