Mum wants to go ‘home’

Lilyblue11

Mar 24, 2020
My mother has lived with me since October, her choice, although now its everyone elses fault. Our life before isolation wasn’t any better than this. We could do so much more to occupy the hours in this stay at home time but she wants to do nothing. I’ve tried countless things but to no avail and if she’s not doing anything then no-one is. I try to get her to interact videocalls etc but its short lived! We sit and she asks constant questions about how to get out. The most she discusses is i want to go home and she wants to die. She is rude, bitter, twisted and miserable and its draining everyone else in household. She doesn’t sleep much, she doesn’t want to be left on her own but doesn’t want to interact. My sons stay in their room constantly now as she hides when they pass her rather than communicate. I try to keep calm but inside i’m angry. The community nurse had planned to start visits before the lockdown and she has been helpful over the phone but my mum won’t speak to her because ‘she doesn’t need her’. I don’t know what to do, i know i’m just trying to keep my own head straight. Mum has started to lose her way around the house and mixes up words etc, sleep is short bursts and sporadic, always cold, complains of headaches. This is a nightmare. I’m generally positive but i’ve changed beyond recognition and worry i’ll never laugh again. Sorry just needed to say it all out loud. ?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
. Sorry just needed to say it all out loud. ?

There`s nothing to apologise for @Lilyblue11 It will be impossible to reason with your mother when she is in this mood and it must be making life very difficult for all of you.

If your mother won`t speak to the community nurse, perhaps you can and ask for more help than you are getting. I know help might be difficult to get at this time but please let the community nurse know just how it is, even if it has to be in your mother`s hearing.

This behaviour is affecting your sons too and it`s too much to ask.