Mum threatening suicide

Stripeysox

Oct 18, 2016
Hi, this is my first post here.
I'm feeling so out of my depth I just don't know what to do or where to turn.
My mum is 95, she's not been diagnosed with any form of dementia but has no short term memory at all, is now very argumentative and violent (which she never was before), virtually stone deaf and her eyesight is going. She fixates on about 3/4 things - 'men' who sleep on her living room floor (there are no men), saying she wishes she was dead, telling everyone not to fall on their head and saying she's not seen anyone for weeks. Her memory has got to the stage where I was visiting her with my daughter yesterday and after about 20 mins I went to make her a drink - she then turned to my daughter and asked if I would be visiting her soon. She has been like this for months now. She stays in bed the whole time, only getting up to go to the toilet.
She was assessed by the doctor and a health visitor about 6 weeks ago, who said she was fine. I was not there at the time and didn't know they would be making this assessment. I work full time 6 days a week so it is quite limited how often I can be there for her but I do my best and go as often as I can.
She is living in her own home with carers 4 times a day plus a night time carer, so she is rarely alone - she has neighbours who also pop in to see her every day. She remembers none of these people coming in to her and always says she hasn't seen anyone for weeks.
For months she has been saying she wishes she was dead, but lately she has been threatening to kill herself and today when I saw the carer she said she found her in the kitchen with a knife, threatening to cut herself. All knives have now been put up on top of the kitchen cupboards where she can't see them and wouldn't be able to get to them anyway.
Where do I go from here? I've never had to deal with this kind of thing before and like I said just feel so out of my depth, I just don't know what to do for the best.
Thanks for any help/advice anyone can give me, sorry if this has been so long.
Thank you x

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Hello Stripeysox and welcome, although I'm so very sorry you're facing this distressing situation, and think that you and your mum need help urgently.

Can you ring Social Services tomorrow and tell them what you've told us? Tell them your mother is a vulnerable person and they have a duty of care. She needs an urgent assessment, as the situation has deteriorated badly since the last time, and that you need to be there, or someone that you nominate.

If I'd been the carer who found your mum with a knife, frankly I think I'd have called the police, or an ambulance. I'm not sure if that's the right thing to do, but something like that needs professionals to deal with it, I think.

I'm sure someone with more experience will be along with advice shortly, but I couldn't read and run, and I hope you get the help you need. If nothing else, my reply will bump up your post so that it doesn't get lost.

Hang on in there x

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
I agree with CG , tell everyone. Her gp, does she have a social worker , if not she needs one immediately , definitely a vulnerable adult .

Meppershall

Aug 16, 2016
Bedfordshire
Stripey xxx How awful for you, what a horrible situation xxx I'm new to all of this also but agree whole heartedly with the other posts, get a SS assessment, contact Mum's GP as soon as possible and hopefully get a referral to a neurologist who will be able to examine your mum and give you some idea of what is going on xxx

Hopefully you will get the help you need and it might put your mind at rest xxx

Stripeysox

Oct 18, 2016
So sorry it has taken me so long to reply, but thank you all for your replies.
I've contacted the GP who did a home visit the same day, confirmed she has dementia and that she now really needs 24 hour care. She has contacted social services and they will get in contact with me. If I don't hear from them within the next couple of days then I will ring them.
Thanks again for replies and support x