Mum shouting outside

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Mum is outside her neighbours house tonight.
She is looking for her granddaughter who mum says is supposed to be staying with her tonight (not) and grandaughter is hiding from her

Do I ring someone tonight? I am 1.5hrs away sister is 2hrs

min88cat

Apr 6, 2010
Hi 2jays

Are the neighbours helpful? Could you enlist their help to get her back indoors and get them to phone the duty doctor?

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
O 2jays what a predicatment! I presume your mother's neighbour has phoned you. Can your neighbour not put her on the phone to speak to you?

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Yes neighbours are helpful. Mum rang sister to ask where grandaughter was. Sister spoke to neighbour. Mum said oh she must have been dreaming. So not sure any point ringing anyone now wasn't sure at the time of post.

This is the 2nd night running this neighbour has been to mums at 9pm. This time mum went to neighbours house last night she phoned them.

Butter

Jan 19, 2012
NeverNeverLand
Can you call her at home and get the neighbour to answer the phone and so get her back in her home to speak to you? Or you could ring the local GP out of hours service. Or the local police station?

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
It depends on how far you want to take this I think. If you want your mother to be "taken to a place of safety" which might mean sectioning then you should tell the neighbours to call the police. Otherwise there should be an emergency social services number that they (or you) could call (although I have to say, that might have the same result as my first suggestion).

min88cat

Apr 6, 2010
Glad she is ok! It really is a nightmare when this sort of thing starts happening. Hopefully it will be a short lived episode.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Thanks all. I am going to ring doc & or CPN tomorrow. Neighbour has agreed to stay with mum tonight.

Ooh. I panicked. Sorry. But thanks for instant support. Xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I hope you get some help tomorrow 2jays. Your mother is now sounding at risk, especially as you and your sister are so far away.

My mother got to this stage but we could be there in 5 minutes. Even so she wasn`t safe when we weren`t there.

NeverGiveUp

May 17, 2011
We've only had one episode of this at home and that was a couple of years ago. We have managed to keep her (and the shouting) indoors. It was one of the worst days of our lives. So worrying, my best wishes for sorting things out.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Thanks Jennie. Yes I hope so too. Oh I do feel for the neighbour - they are not a spring chicken - 83 last birthday - but I didn't know what else to do and they did offer.

This has got to be sorted tomorrow in my opinion. Started the wheels to get mum into respite today to give us a break, but was told I needed to wait a bit as she wasn't an emergency - wasn't surprised to hear that. Will ask neighbour to ring as well.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
2jays, please don`t let anyone persuade you your mum isn`t an emergency. The last thing you need is to be made to wait for an emergency situation or a crisis.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
2jays, please don`t let anyone persuade you your mum isn`t an emergency. The last thing you need is to be made to wait for an emergency situation or a crisis.

Thanks. I did kick myself when agreeing to wait a bit, but I thought perhaps it was a good idea as mum did seem calmer. I really should have known better shouldn't I :) ?
But no worries, it won't happen again. Xx

Dazmum

Jul 10, 2011
Horsham, West Sussex
I agree with GrannieG, it's a big step, but one that has been edging towards you for a while. At least the doctor should be on side now. Thank goodness for your mum's kind neighbours and the fact that your sister is also more aware and understanding.

Hope you get some sleep tonight, try not to worry too much (silly thing to say, but you know what I mean I hope). I'm thinking of you xxx