Mum refusing food, drink and medication plus depression

Numberlock

Feb 4, 2009
Manchester
My mum moved between care homes 4 weeks ago, 70 miles apart, due to the previous care home not offering dementia care. (Mum has Alzheimer's and vascular dementia.)

I wasn't expecting it to be plain sailing but neither was I expecting it to be so traumatic. Prior to the move she was content, in fact the weekend before I moved her we went out for a drive; for a walk in the park and for lunch.

Fast forward 4 weeks and she is now refusing to eat, drink or taking medication and now seems to be very depressed. She doesn't want to get out of bed, join in any activities, hates the new home and cries for most of the time when I visit.

Has anyone had experience of this?

The GP is visiting today and has mentioned that he may get the Crisis Mental Health Team involved. (There is additional concern in that she is diabetic and the lack of food and fluids obviously is making this worse.)

With regards to intervention, I'm quite clear on what I do and don't want to happen as the dementia worsens.

Can someone with experience of this please tell me what kinds of decisions I may be asked to make and how supportive you have found the home/health care time in supporting you in those decisions?

I feel like she's fading in front of my eyes and that I've caused it by moving her, although I had no choice.

cheryl k

Sep 9, 2012
mom refusing food

My mum moved between care homes 4 weeks ago, 70 miles apart, due to the previous care home not offering dementia care. (Mum has Alzheimer's and vascular dementia.)

I wasn't expecting it to be plain sailing but neither was I expecting it to be so traumatic. Prior to the move she was content, in fact the weekend before I moved her we went out for a drive; for a walk in the park and for lunch.

Fast forward 4 weeks and she is now refusing to eat, drink or taking medication and now seems to be very depressed. She doesn't want to get out of bed, join in any activities, hates the new home and cries for most of the time when I visit.

Has anyone had experience of this?

The GP is visiting today and has mentioned that he may get the Crisis Mental Health Team involved. (There is additional concern in that she is diabetic and the lack of food and fluids obviously is making this worse.)

With regards to intervention, I'm quite clear on what I do and don't want to happen as the dementia worsens.

Can someone with experience of this please tell me what kinds of decisions I may be asked to make and how supportive you have found the home/health care time in supporting you in those decisions?

I feel like she's fading in front of my eyes and that I've caused it by moving her, alt,hough I had no choice.

Hi

I had this exact thing happen with my Mom. Mom had dementia from a TIA, got a UTI and Dad could not take care of her anymore. My Mom had always told me if she ever went into a nursing facility she would not last long. The first time I went to check on her after we moved her in, I will never forget her looking me in the eye and asking if she was ever going to get out of there. Mom knew I would tell her the truth which I did. Sure enough after that she went on a hunger strike, the doctor's suggested we try a drug which would increase her appetite which we did. She would spit the drug out, then refused all food and fluids. The nurses prepared me that my Mom had lost the will to live..When that happens they told me to prepare myself that I was loosing my Mom. Mom died after only l l/2 months after going into the home.

I miss her to this day which was 4 l/2 years ago, but now am thankful it worked out that way because my Dad has alzheimer's which is worse. I know where this is heading and it breaks my heart.

I truly feel for what you are going thru and be sure to honor your mom's wishes. You will not regret your decision.

Take care

Cheryl

Mamsgirl

Jun 2, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Nothing useful to say I'm afraid Numberlock, just sending you wishes for strength, and hoping the diabetes is the main culprit now as it seems far more yielding to treatment than dementia.

Hugs from (already hot and sunny, grrr) Oz,
Toni x

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Debby Duplex