Mum referred to oncology today

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
Out of the blue, mum showed my sister a lump and lesion on her breast yesterday. It looks as if it has been there a while and the skin is very puckered around a hole/deep dimple with a scab in the middle - it reminds me of the button in the middle of a cushion!

Obviously we tried to make an urgent GP appointment but there was nothing available for a week. But the receptionist, who knows we have POA, spoke to her doctor and they arranged a home visit for the following day. We are so lucky that mum has an understanding doctor.

The outcome is that he is making a two week referral to the hospital as he does not like the look of the lesion at all, he spoke to my sister away from mum ( he saw her uncooperative side for the first time) and told he that as the family had already decided not to persue invasive procedures for skin problems ( biopsy showed not pre cancerous but would require skin grafts if lesions were removed) he would not recommend cancer treatment if suggested. He said it is more likely the oncologist would offer an oestrogen table to hopefully slow down the progress. Mum is 87 and although she is just about living alone at home with daily care from us, her AZ is getting increasingly worse and we know it's just a matter of time before we'll have to reconsider a care home.

The doctor then gave my sister a hug, apologised for having to mention such an upsetting topic and reassured her that all she has to do is phone him to get any necessary skin creams and anti inflamatories ( for unassociated concerns) on repeat prescriptions. He took my sisters mobile number and has promised to call her next week.

So now we have to keep a eye out for a letter in the post although the doctor will request a phone call from the hospital - we all know how our pwd hide important letters! I'll be searching drawers, bins, under the sofa daily from now on!

My sister and I have agreed that we will both take mum to her initial appointments for moral support then it will be time for a family conference when we get the results.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
What a lovely doctor. Dad's doctor is the same. I agree they probably won't treat her but they can offer palliative care which dad is having. Non invasive but enough to keep him comfortable.

Hop the appointment goes well. Big hugs.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
What a lovely GP - it must be a comfort to know you have that support for your mum.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kathy T