Mum moderate AD & bowel cancer

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
Late 2012, after a CT colonography and 2 CT colonoscopy scans Mum was diagnosed with early stage bowel cancer. Jan 2013 she had surgery which she coped with quite well, but from there we saw a sharp decline in her memory and cognitive functioning and in August 2013 she was diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

Sorry if this is too much info, but prior to Mums scans, the bowel prep she had to do beforehand she barely coped with. It caused her much distress.

Now 18 mths later, she has been sent an appt letter for another checkup.
She has had two since Jan 2013. and she gets quite agitated beforehand, so we don't tell her she has an appt till that morning.
I know this appt they will want to discuss Mum having a colonoscopy.
Mum would just not cope at all. No food except, jelly & clear soup. Copious amounts of water not to mention laxatives and enemas.

I have Enduring POA for health & welfare, which has not been registered yet, but i do feel Mum is not capable of making an informed decision.
She would make any decision on having another colonoscopy based on the fact that it would mean she would have endless toilet visits, and only on that fact alone.
Am thinking of seeing the family GP to discuss, unless anyone else has some advice.

stevew

Oct 30, 2010
CORNWAL
Hi, my mil 84 ad severe and as cop deputy to include health and welfare, i discussed matters with the gp regarding both resuscitation and any surgical intervention. We are clear no resus and no surgical intervention, just to concentrate on keeping mum safe , comfortable and as pain free for as long as possible. It is clearly not in my mil best interests to undergo any further opps. I hope this helps
steve

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Linbrusco

I often think these letters are sent as a matter or course but once the condition of the patient is recognised fully, after discussion, further procedures would not be recommended.

I would reply to the letter stating the stage of dementia your mother is at and suggest she will be unable to comply with instructions.

My husband was sent an appointment to have a barium test when he appeared to have swallowing difficulties. I know he wouldn`t even cope with the journey to the hospital and certainly wouldn`t have been able to drink the bliquid or follow instructions. As POA for him, I think the medics just wanted permission from me for no further treatment.