Mum keeps wearing other people's glasses!

Mylestone

Sep 19, 2016
Hello - mum has dementia and lives in a nursing home. Although both pairs of her glasses have lanyards, and I had named both pairs of glasses using a label with her name, tightly wrapped round the arms of the specs with sticky tape, when I visited mum on Friday, I found her wearing somebody else's specs :)
She said they were hers but I knew they weren't and they were in fact labelled with somebody else's name. She was then brought another pair or glasses by a carer and they weren't mum's either. I found both pairs in mum's room....
My question is, does anybody know of a foolproof way of naming glasses other than a label and sticky tape? (the label had already come off one of her pairs by Friday!). I've looked online to see if there's a product that can be used to label the glasses but have drawn a blank so far.

I know mum doesn't really care whose glasses she's wearing (lol!) but I think it might be helpful if she sticks to the ones that are prescribed to her and not wear other residents' !!

xrhiannax

Mar 19, 2017
Tripp- ex the pen type writes on most things and generally sticks fairly well, I hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Dad would pick up anyone else's specs as his own in his NH, once in an emergency had to be taken by ambulance into hospital and I was with him to calm him down...had a nice pair of ladies pink glasses on that I retrieved before they too went to hospital! Common problem for some in NH. A t dads NH they had a small engraving tool to engrave the arms of the specs which was permanent. Doesn't solve the problem though if regardless of pointing out the name someone like my dad was still convinced they were his!

BR_ANA

Jun 27, 2012
Brazil
I've used to take a picture of glasses and my mum wearing them. It helped staff.

My mum used to give her glasses to any resident, however staff was great at finding it.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Mylestone

Sep 19, 2016
Tripp- ex the pen type writes on most things and generally sticks fairly well, I hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Thanks for the tips everyone - a few there we can try but as you say, if they're convinced they're wearing their own glasses, it's hard to keep track sometimes! Onwards and upwards ...

theunknown

Apr 17, 2015
Dad would pick up anyone else's specs as his own in his NH, once in an emergency had to be taken by ambulance into hospital and I was with him to calm him down...had a nice pair of ladies pink glasses on that I retrieved before they too went to hospital! Common problem for some in NH. A t dads NH they had a small engraving tool to engrave the arms of the specs which was permanent. Doesn't solve the problem though if regardless of pointing out the name someone like my dad was still convinced they were his!

Oh dear, it's distressing really, but I can't help laughing at the thought of your dad wearing ladies' pink glasses :confused: I agree that it doesn't matter if people think they are their glasses, because as far as they're concerned, they are. The idea of not being able to read because you haven't got your glasses horrifies me. I need glasses for long-sight these days (age). Unfortunately, observing my mum, I think the ability to understand reading disappears before the ability to use glasses goes. Or perhaps that's a good thing.