Mum keeps asking to go home

Angel18

Sep 28, 2012
Hello

My mother who is 95 has been in a Nursing Home for just over eight weeks, previous to that she was in a residential care home for nearly five years.

My mother is a very private person and when she was in her previous care home she spent the majority of the time in her room, she even had her meals in her room, the Home Manager and carers did try and coax my mother to come out of her room but the only time she would is when myself and my husband came down to see her.

After a lengthy stay in hospital last year, my mother was diagnosed with vascular dementia last year and her previous care home asked us to find another care home for mum as they were no longer able to meet her long term care needs, my mother's mobility declined and at times even though she could move her legs she was unable to walk, but at other times she could walk short distances but needed to be supervised. We found a Nursing Home for mum and she moved there in May. As my mother is prone to falling and has fallen twice whilst she has been in her room the carers have been taking my mother into the lounge/dining room for her meals and once the meal has finished they settle my mother into a comfy chair so they can keep an eye on her. The problem is my mother does not always like sitting in the lounge and would prefer to be in her room, but because she sometimes tries to get up and unclips her alarm the carers are worried that she will fall and hurt herself. Today when we went to see my mother I felt so sorry for her she was asking to go home saying she did not like sitting in the lounge and that all the people in the lounge were strangers, I tried to explain why she was in the lounge, but because of her dementia she does not realise that she is putting herself at risk by trying to get out of her chair and unclipping her alarm. I felt so guilty leaving her today and I wished I could have done something or said something to help her. I did make the carers aware that she was unsettled and that she wanted to go back to her room, but I do appreciate their position and that the safety of my mother is their main concern - tricky.

I would welcome any advice on this. Thank you very much.

Carara

May 19, 2013
West Mids,Uk
Hi Angel18

Not really any advise as someone will come along and give advise as to help your mom
but just to let you know that wanting to go home is very very common with dementia patients
My Mil lives with us and up until 2 weeks ago was constantly wanting to go home.
However when asked where she lived she didnt know
It is somewhere way back when
By that I mean with my mil it was with her mom,she knew that address ok so maybe she`d gone back to that time in her life Im unsure
But please don`t worry it i very natural for your mom to want to go home

Take Care x x

Angel18

Sep 28, 2012
Hi Carara

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.

It is hard to gage at times what mum means, it must be so hard and frustrating for her, I only wish I could make her feel better. I had to laugh, the other week she introduced me to one of the carers saying I was her sister, bearing in mind my aunt is 93, I wasn't sure how to take it!! Seriously though, I am just glad that mum still recognises that I am part of her family.

I just wish I could turn back the time and have my old mum back.

Take care and I hope your mother in law keeps well.

xx

Farmergirl

May 24, 2011
Cornwall
I had mum wanting to go home for a long time - possibly a year and a half. She is not asking now, but is very confused (I mean VERY).

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
The wanting to go home can be associated with sundowning, a period of time during the day when the person becomes more confused and agitated. It was thought this happened late afternoon, early evening eg when the sun goes down ( hence the name) but it can happen at other times of the day too. The wanting to go home is often accompanied by asking for their parents and is not necessarily a plea to be taken to a physical location but rather that they want to return to a time where they felt safe and secure eg at home with mum and dad.

The sad thing is that of all the things we can do, this is the very thing we can't deliver for them. One approach that many of us have used is to use delaying tactics. Tell them it is too late, too cold, too dark, to be going tonight but that we can make arrangements tomorrow. Say there are no buses running, that her mum is away on holiday right now...basically any white lie you can think of that will help calm the situation down. Sometimes it can help to talk about home. Maybe talk about decorating her room there. What colours would she like...wallpaper maybe, new carpet perhaps..that sort of things. Another time if she is agitated about say, her mum, get some paper and a pen and write a note and you can take it with you to post. We had times when we sang the songs that my grand mother used to sing to my mother and that worked well and actually turned out to be a nice way for mum to spend an evening. She knew all the words to the songs too! LOL

Hope this helps and that you find something that works for your mum.

Fiona

Angel18

Sep 28, 2012
Farmergirl

So sorry to her that your mum is so confused, it must be very difficult for both of you.

Fiona,

Thank you so much for your good advice and your clear explanation of sundowing, I found it really helpful. I must admit I have had to tell mum the odd white lie just to calm her down. When mum was first diagnosed with dementia if she said something that was incorrect I would gently correct her thinking I was helping her, but I quickly realised that only added to her confusion so I now go along with what she says.

Regarding familiar songs that is one of the things, providing mum is in the right mood, that really perks her up. Last week I was reading out some Irish Folk music to mum and she knew every word, we had a really nice day and it was good to see her smile.

Many thanks for your kind advice.

nerak

Account Closed
Jul 4, 2013
ireland
Hi Carara

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.

It is hard to gage at times what mum means, it must be so hard and frustrating for her, I only wish I could make her feel better. I had to laugh, the other week she introduced me to one of the carers saying I was her sister, bearing in mind my aunt is 93, I wasn't sure how to take it!! Seriously though, I am just glad that mum still recognises that I am part of her family.

I just wish I could turn back the time and have my old mum back.

Take care and I hope your mother in law keeps well.

xx

Gosh in tears reading this poor you how awful the only solution here is that my mum goes into a home as im leaving to have some sort of a life 4years here looking after her i dread the day we may have to go there must be awful but my mum is only a baby at 74yrs?? this must be the hardest decision anyone can make! take care.

Angel18

Sep 28, 2012
Hi Nerak

Thank you. I hope all goes well with your mother, it's not easy I know.

Take care and look after yourself as well.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amanda2847