Mum is declining and I'm scared

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
My mother was diagnosed with AD 13 1/2 years ago. I have been a member of TP since 2005 and have recorded our long and tumultuous journey here ever since.

Mum has been in a wheelchair since the fall of 2006. She doesn't speak any more, has been doubly incontinent for years, has to be fed etc. But she has always had a ravenous appetite and I say she eats like a shark.

Last weekend, I was approached by the nurse, who said that Mum has started choking when drinking. She asked me if I wanted to thicken her drinks (I always visit at mealtimes so I can feed Mum) and I said I would try without thickening first. The milk and juice were fine but Mum started coughing like mad on the water. For some reason, water is the easiest thing to choke on. I added a little thickener to the water and she was fine.

They then did a 3 day trial and the dietitian has determined that Mum's drinks should be "nectar thick". This should eliminate any choking, at least for quite some time.

This is not a big deal and is not an unexpected development. But my mother's decline for the last few years has been how she has lost her ability to speak. She hasn't really had any physical changes, as she was already in a wheelchair etc. I am finding it extremely difficult having to acknowledge this physical decline, because it means more will come. I'm not ready for it.

I'd been finding visiting my mother more difficult in the last year. I was feeling very low last summer from a number of causes and ended up seeing a counsellor. He said I was burned out. Things are better now but just as I was starting to really feel myself, this comes along.

I AM scared and a little in denial. I know what will come eventually and can't stop it. I'm a bit of an emotional mess right now. I have no choice, I have to accept it but oh how I want to scream and rave at the injustice of it all.

at wits end

Nov 9, 2012
East Anglia
I feel for you, it is so hard.

i feel every now and then my gran takes a step down, then we stabilise at that level for a while until the next step down.

I know its easy to say but try to take some time out for yourself to come to terms with this new stage. Your Mum needs you so much right now.

X

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
I am so sorry Joanne, it is very hard when you see a sudden downturn, you just get used to things as they are, It is so unfair but could be a while before the next one you never know,

Thinking of you and your mum take care, Jeany xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Oh Joanne I'm so sorry.

Caring for your mum has made dementia such a big part of your life for so long. In addition to being with her, you've been on TP, facilitating in Canada and, apart from your paid employment, eating it, sleeping it and living it.

We all think we are prepared for the worst but we're not. It is never the right time.

Are you scared of losing her or are you scared of witnessing her deterioration? Whatever you're scared of I doubt it will happen overnight, I'm sure you'll have more time with her. From what I've gathered she seems physically a strong and healthy lady.

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
I am so sorry for yourself and your poor mum. I both hope that you get more time with mum and that she is peaceful and pain free.

flower1

Apr 12, 2013
Hi, My mum too has vascular dementia, this is her fourth year and she can no longer walk, talk, is incontinent and has to have 24 hour care in the nursing home. The only thing I feel keeps her going is the fact that she can still eat, swallow her food and drink (although all has to be fed to her by the nurse). She is on fork mashed food and her drinks are now thickened. The staff are very good at the NH and keep informing me how good Mum's appetite is and that she is drinking fluids etc ok but always in the back of my mind I keep thinking that is ok for the moment but when will this start to decline because like yourself I feel scared as this will definitely be a big turning point I feel with this cruel quite unpredictable illness. Also my Mum does not really know me any more or does she (some days when I visit this can be unpredictable - perhaps a small hand gesture or odd little smile?) My mum;s doctor told me that Mum is now at the 'late stage' of the vascular dementia illness and that at the most it would prolong would be 12 to 24 months?? Very difficult to understand and also on an emotional level. Like yourself I too got burnt out with it all and had some counselling which really helped me. I feel for your situation as I know how hard it is xx

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
I am so sorry Joanne. Of course you are scared of whatever comes next. Somehow we all seem to adjust to the next stage.

Seeing such a decline is very tough and your strong determined nature will be surely tested. You will do it.

I remember being horrified when David went on to thickened drinks and pureed food; he did take it and seemingly enjoyed it. Even at that point there were quality days - make the most of those as, when and if they come.

As always TP is here to support.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Joanne, I'm sorry you are scared. I guess it's such a mixture of reasons: where, when, how? Will it hurt her, what will I do without her?.....all of these are unanswerable, except, hopefully, for the pain bit. There should be little or none of that for Mum to suffer. For now, just live for the day. that's really all any of us can do....but remember you are not alone, we are here to share the vigil.x.x.

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
Do what you need to. It IS unfair and it IS unjust and if you want to scream and cry, make sure you can do that. Don't bottle it up.

It is a scary time when you know what is looming but you don't know when. I found myself asking "how long?" but of course no-one can tell you that.

Rheme

Nov 23, 2013
England
Hi Joanne,

I understand how you feel as my mum started to choke on fluids and was at risk of aspirating so now thickeners are added to her drinks. She has alzheimers, is almost blind, cannot stand unaided and is doubly incontinent amongst other things.

The dietician was called in and she recommended that mum went on pureed food also. The nursing home she is in tends to puree everything together and this after a while makes things taste bland/samey so mum started to refuse some of her meals and her weight dropped to 6 stone 5 lbs.

At this point I called the dietician back in and mum is now on fortified drinks in addition to which I take her in a yoghurt smoothie every night (just under 1/2 a litre) made up with all bran, a teaspoon of organic peanut butter, a dessert spoon of glucose powder and loads of fruit all of which I buy frozen (except the bananas). So mum gets her 5 a day all in one. She absolutely loves them and despite not talking much at all tells me they are 'bloody lovely'. Her weight is now on the increase and we are starting to breathe a sigh of relief. Smoothies for some reason come out thicker if done with frozen fruit and it is more convenient.

Tonight I asked the nursing home not to give mum her tea as I was going to take it in. She ate a fillet steak (chopped down really fine in gravy), pureed carrots and swede along with mashed potatoes with rasperries in (she loves sweet things) and she just about ate the lot. I waited an hour and a half and then gave her the daily smoothie. She went to bed one really happy and satisfied lady and as I left said night night followed by my name. Just that made everything I do feel so worthwhile.

I understand your frustration as watching the decline of someone you love and care for is probably one of the most difficult situations to deal with. Keep your chin up and take each day at a time, take each challenge as it comes and post on the forum as there are people on here to offer help and support.

Thinking of you both and take care.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
As always, my TP family comes to the rescue. Thanks to everyone for your kind and encouraging messages.

Grannie G said:
Are you scared of losing her or are you scared of witnessing her deterioration? Whatever you're scared of I doubt it will happen overnight, I'm sure you'll have more time with her. From what I've gathered she seems physically a strong and healthy lady.

It's a bit of both, Sylvia. I don't want to see her get to the stage of being unresponsive but the only way to prevent is if she dies before then and I certainly am not ready for that. Yes, she is physically quite healthy except for her AD. She hasn't got any other health condition - everything is due to the Alzheimer's. Her blood pressure is perfect, her cholesterol is back to normal etc. I expect to have her with us for several more years but this change has shaken me up.

Kassy, you're quite right that I haven't been sharing my hopes and fears very much on TP. You've made me think about that - thank you for starting that line of thought.

Mum is not in pain, she laughs and smiles. Today we had quite a bit of eye contact while I was feeding her.

Here's a story - my dreaded aunt queried the thickened fluids and I don't think was entirely happy when the nurse said I was fully aware of everything going on. My aunt is convinced I know nothing about my mother's condition, and that I rarely visit. My aunt proceeded to go to the general manager to complain that my mother wouldn't make eye contact with her and kept looking at the ceiling. Yes, she really did complain about that - as idiotic as it sounds. I think Mum still has the nous to avoid my aunt as much as she can.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Joanne, no words of advice but I'm thinking of you all (mind you, the thoughts I'm thinking about your aunt should probably be kept to myself :rolleyes:).

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Joanne I'm so very sorry to read about your mother and I can understand your fear. Thinking of you. xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Lovely advice from Kassy Joanne. I see you agree and I hope you take it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Sorry to read about your mum declining Joanne .

No matter how many years pass with me not posting on this site I alway remember you all .

I am wondering how your mum is since you last posted ?

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Hi Maggie, it is wonderful to hear from you. Sylvia, of course I don't mind you butting in.

My mother is the same - once the switch was made to thickened fluids, she was fine. No more coughing and choking. She still smiles and laughs but is a little less vocal than she used to be, although she still does make sounds occasionally. She doesn't use words anymore - actually she'll come out with a word now and again but we can't figure out what she's saying.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Historybuff