Mum in a care home and tested positive for covid19

Julid001

Sep 30, 2017
Hi, mum has dementia and has now been in a care home for 18 months. She has moderate dementia with memory loss. She knows who we all are, but gets very muddled. My problem is that over a week ago, the home swabbed the residents, a number of them tested positive, so they've all had to stay in their rooms. Mum has had no symptoms since being tested positive. We're now on day 10 of room isolation and mum's mental capacity is steadily deteriorating. I'm more worried about that tbh, rather than her physical health, which is fine. What are other care homes doing with regards to the length of time residents have to isolate for. The government guidelines say 7 days if no symptoms, they want mum and the others to isolate for 14. This is starting to have a huge impact on mum. I'm a registered nurse myself working in the NHS, so I'm fully aware of the guidelines for everyone else, just not the care homes. Thankyou for reading.

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
Mum tested positive once with symptoms, then about 10 days ago she was tested along with everyone else and she tested positive again but no symptoms. I was told that she would be isolated and then retested after 14 days. Hope this helps

Julid001

Sep 30, 2017
Mum tested positive once with symptoms, then about 10 days ago she was tested along with everyone else and she tested positive again but no symptoms. I was told that she would be isolated and then retested after 14 days. Hope this helps
Thank you Jale. It's a nightmare all of this. Luckily she's been asymptomatic all the way through and has now been released from isolaton. Poor thing, she thought she was being punished for something, she kept asking me over and over what had she'd done wrong and that no human should be treated like this, sobbing down the phone. It has been so upsetting for us all, but at least she's ok and that's the main thing. It could have been so much worse, I know that and I'm grateful that's all it was. So many have not been so lucky. It's very difficult for all those suffering from dementia in the care homes. Many just do not understand the need for isolation, you can tell them over and over, but you know what happens there. It's so sad. From what I know, the virus can stay in your body for some time after you've had the symptoms but at a reduced load, so that's why people are still positive for a while after. I think the transmission rate is reduced though at this time from what I've been told. So little is still known though. I hope you're mum continues to be well and hopefully covid free soon.

Julid001

Sep 30, 2017

Julid001

Sep 30, 2017
The government guidance is under review but from what I can find the current testing advice states:

Asymptomatic care home resident who has a positive COVID-19 Result • The resident should isolate for 14 days from the date the test was taken. After 14 days, if they remain asymptomatic, they can cease isolation.

See here (page 18):

https://assets.publishing.service.g...for_care_home_managers_on_Non-Randox_kits.pdf
Thank you Louise7 for the information. Much appreciated.