Mum Has Gained Her Wings

Firecatcher

Jan 6, 2020
Thank you to everyone who has supported me on here and replied to my posts. This is just to let you know that my Mum suddenly passed away in the early hours of this morning. I was actually due to visit this weekend with my step father. No one got a chance to say goodbye as it all happened so quickly. I’m relieved my Mum has been released from this awful disease but feel overwhelmed about arranging her funeral as it’s not something I’ve ever had to do before. My step father just isn’t capable of doing all that much.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
So sorry, I know how you must be feeling lost both mum and wife with this terrible disease, you have my sympathy, stay strong it isn't easy. K

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
@Firecatcher, sorry to hear about your mum, after all the struggles it must be a strange time for you. Yes funerals etc can be a challenge but in time it will be done and hopefully you can find a way to be at peace with this. Take care xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I’m so sorry @Firecatcher

There’s no hurry to arrange the funeral. Get your thoughts in order and you will be fine

The funeral director will be all too willing to help and advise you.

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
I have found Funeral Directors to be really kind and supportive, doing their best to make things as easy as possible for you.
Take a day or two to have a damn good cry and gather your thoughts.

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
So sorry for your loss @Firecatcher, take your time. There are helpful sites if you need them -they will guide you step by step as to what needs to be done and when. As for arranging the funeral, let the funeral directors guide you if you have no fixed plan/thoughts.
Take care and be kind to yourself x

Violet Jane

Aug 23, 2021
Condolences on your loss, @Firecatcher. There's no hurry to have the funeral, and it doesn't have to be expensive or elaborate. Many people are now having a small private cremation for the close family, often with a celebration of life at a later date. There is also the option of a direct cremation. The funeral directors will guide you but don't feel that you have to have 'all the trappings'.

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
Sorry for your loss @Firecatcher
Your mum's at peace and you say she's "gained her wings"
After you given yourself a chance to let things settle at bit, you'll now have to support your stepfather?

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
I’m so sorry to hear that news @Firecatcher. That must have been a big shock, but your mum is now at peace.
My mum died last autumn and I found the funeral directors to be excellent. Mum
Wasn’t religious and they found us a very good celebrant who helped my brother and I organise a funeral that was exactly right for our mum.

leny connery

Nov 13, 2022
Thank you to everyone who has supported me on here and replied to my posts. This is just to let you know that my Mum suddenly passed away in the early hours of this morning. I was actually due to visit this weekend with my step father. No one got a chance to say goodbye as it all happened so quickly. I’m relieved my Mum has been released from this awful disease but feel overwhelmed about arranging her funeral as it’s not something I’ve ever had to do before. My step father just isn’t capable of doing all that much.

MowgliGirl02

Feb 20, 2022
Sending condolences to you @Firecatcher at this awful time. Take each day as it comes, and remember to be kind to yourself. You will find the strength to do this, I’m doing it too at the moment also. Remember to eat drink and sleep.
Remember you are not alone. ❤️

Starting on a journey

Jul 9, 2019
Sorry to hear this and hope your step father is ok too.
The whole system registrars through to funeral directors are very kind and know that you won’t be at your best. They will guide you through the options, advise on cost and tell you want to do when.
I think one of the first jobs has to be to clear possessions out of the care home, then it’s done. Just put stuff somewhere in a cupboard or room with a door until you are stronger

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Sorry to hear about your loss. Condolences to you and your dad.

It is always a shock when death isn't unexpected imminently.

As has been said the funeral directors should guide you with the options.