Mum has fallen

Ash148

Jan 1, 2014
Dublin, Ireland
Mum who has been in a psychiatric hospital for past few weeks fell today while they were trying to get her to walk with a Zimmer frame (in spite of community psychiatrist advising last November that it was too late to try to teach mum to use one as she is late stage dementia). Mum was shipped off to A&E where she was too agitated to be stitched and have the CT scan that they wanted to rule out an intra cranial bleed. After five hours, they finally sedated her to get both done. We asked what they would do if there was an intra cranial bleed and they said send her for assessment for potential neurosurgery. I'm wondering whether they or I am crazy; we're definitely not on the same planet.

I'm away on a business trip (have now booked first flight home in the morning) and none of my three siblings saw fit to go to A&E with mum, as she was accompanied by psychiatric nurse. When I found out at 11pm that mum had been there for four hours I called my OH and he immediately went to find out what was happening and work towards getting mum discharged.

I am furious especially as mum is in psychiatric hospital against my wishes in the first place. Siblings ruled out my caring for mum at home as an alternative. The admission was supposedly to fix her medication to deal with constant pacing and sleeplessness but there has been no improvement and meanwhile she is in a sterile environment plus not safe from falls which was part of my brother's rationale against caring for her at home. At least I wouldn't have been trying to get her to walk with a Zimmer. Apparently she got tangled up in it.

Sorry for the rant but I am wound up and no point trying to sleep as flight is at seven a.m. So will need to go to the airport in a couple of hours.

CJinUSA

Jan 20, 2014
eastern USA
Mum who has been in a psychiatric hospital for past few weeks fell today while they were trying to get her to walk with a Zimmer frame (in spite of community psychiatrist advising last November that it was too late to try to teach mum to use one as she is late stage dementia). Mum was shipped off to A&E where she was too agitated to be stitched and have the CT scan that they wanted to rule out an intra cranial bleed. After five hours, they finally sedated her to get both done. We asked what they would do if there was an intra cranial bleed and they said send her for assessment for potential neurosurgery. I'm wondering whether they or I am crazy; we're definitely not on the same planet.

I'm away on a business trip (have now booked first flight home in the morning) and none of my three siblings saw fit to go to A&E with mum, as she was accompanied by psychiatric nurse. When I found out at 11pm that mum had been there for four hours I called my OH and he immediately went to find out what was happening and work towards getting mum discharged.

I am furious especially as mum is in psychiatric hospital against my wishes in the first place. Siblings ruled out my caring for mum at home as an alternative. The admission was supposedly to fix her medication to deal with constant pacing and sleeplessness but there has been no improvement and meanwhile she is in a sterile environment plus not safe from falls which was part of my brother's rationale against caring for her at home. At least I wouldn't have been trying to get her to walk with a Zimmer. Apparently she got tangled up in it.

Sorry for the rant but I am wound up and no point trying to sleep as flight is at seven a.m. So will need to go to the airport in a couple of hours.

Hello there. I'm so very sorry. You have tried so hard to see that your mother was well cared for, and now this has happened, which is everyone's great fear - falling, that is. It seems as if the carers were not properly instructed. These situations are so trying for everyone. I hope it prompts a good and open conversation finally with all the siblings.

I hope your mother's situation will improve from here, though it is indeed so worrisome, to be sure. Sending healing thoughts your mother's way, and hope for a favorable resolution to your family traumas.

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
I'm not surprised you are 'wound up', Ash - you must be frantic, as well as frustrated and exhausted, hun!

Safe journey home, I really hope that some good comes out of this situation in that it prompts both your siblings and the staff at the hospital to listen to you and take the appropriate action. Hope your Mum makes a good recovery too, hun xxxx

irishmanc

Jan 14, 2015
Manchester
Sorry to hear it. I know from my own experience (parents in Ireland, me in the UK), how hard it is when you are not in the same country when these things happen. Hope it all works out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leigh_77