Mum has broken her hip!

Plum1108

Nov 20, 2009
Hi All

Mum fell and broke her hip last Saturday. She had an operation on Sunday to put in a pin in the hip and physically, at least, she appears to be making a good recovery.

But....

Mum has practically no short term memory at all. She has managed to stay in her own home and live fairly independently by routine and familiarality (and a network of family, friends and carers). Since being in hospital, she has become very confused and does not remember that she has hurt her hip, despite being in pain. She has even fallen out of bed a couple of times and bruised her arm quite badly despite the side rails being put up!

The hospital were thinking of discharging her this coming Wednesday but have finally recognised that her memory is very bad and said they will be referring her to social services.

I just wondered what will happen next - the last time I spoke to social services was to get mum's carer hours upped - Social Services said there was no money for this and I told them that mum is completely self funding anyway....

If they send her home with an increased care package - will mum have to fund this or will Social Services pay for the increase until it is no longer needed?

Mum does have some money but this will be needed for when she eventually goes into a home......

Thanks for reading.

Plum x