Mum had a seizure today

Isabella

Jan 4, 2014
Hi everyone, I haven't posted in a while as things have been fairly calm. Mum's care home asked us to move her last month saying she deteriorated beyond the level of care they can provide. She has been in her new nursing home for a month and seemed okay tho rather anxious (rapid breathing pacing grinding teeth) but then today they called to say she'd had a seizure. Although she was awake when I went to see her she was completely blank, not making eye contact or changing expression. It was quite upsetting. The GP now thinks based on her medical history it may have been caused by cancer returning after eight years. She is too frail for tests and treatment and I'm sure of that but I feel so helpless. Not sure if she will go back to how she was and I feel so sorry that I couldn't have done more for her. Has anyone else been in position of loved one potentially having a disease like cancer? Any advice on what to do?? I thought it seemed most likely to be a stroke so am a bit taken aback by the GP s comment. I just want to do what's best for her so she doesn't suffer. My poor mum.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
So sorry to read of your mum's condition, Isabella - so worrying for you, though I don't see how you could have done more for her - you've made sure she is in a home which can offer her the support she needs.
I wholly understand your comment that you don't want her to suffer. I guess you need to talk more with the GP, and no doubt the staff will be able to guide you too.
I don't have experience of such a complication - but there have been other members who have faced this, maybe some will have a chance to comment.
best wishes to you both

Spiro

Mar 11, 2012
It would depend on the type of dementia she has and the type of cancer she had previously. I know that sounds vague, but it's interesting that the nursing staff didn't call for an ambulance, and it sounds as though the GP doesn't think she needs any medication to prevent further seizures. My experience of seizures resulted in a 999 call, but everyone is different.

Clinical leads I've spoken to have told me that it is not unusual for patients with vascular dementia to have seizures. Have you spoken to the senior nurse/manager at the home?

You now have an opportunity to review her end of life plan with the nursing staff - there should be one in place already. Don't be alarmed by this, it's just forward thinking. Also, the home should be able to give you contact details of the palliative care team they work with.

Try and relax and enjoy the weekend. Please don't think you haven't done enough for your Mum.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Hi there, sorry you have had such a distressing experience - both of you x

I would seek the help of palliative care nurses. If you can't get any help from the care home - which shouldn't happen - then I would go directly to the local hospice and ask for advice and signposting. It is very difficult to judge the level of pain that people are suffering if they are non verbal but the palliative care nurses are very good.

It would be a good idea to meet with the palliative care nurses so that you are kept firmly in the loop.

I hope your Mum recovers quickly x

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrsmagsey