Mum finally lost the fight

Zuzu72

Mar 19, 2015
Hi guys,
It's taken me two weeks to come onto this forum. I've been involved with the forums for most of mum's journey & my journey as her carer, hopefully helped some people & received advice too.
Mum lost her battle on the 7th nov, I was her carer (& proud to be) for four years & anyone who knows the steps of vascular dementia knows that isn't easy (but any pain I experienced was nothing to the fear & sadness she experienced every time she became aware of her limitations).
I haven't come onto the forum since her death & thought that I wouldn't be back, but the shock is wearing off & I realised that ive lost my best friend & a woman that used to call me 'Mum' which while it freaked other people just meant that she knew I would always look after her.
With dementia you grieve a lot while the person is still here, you grieve for who they once were, you grieve for your mum or your dad. But when you realise that there's not even the hope that you will see them smile again it is a different feeling. The good (or perhaps bad) thing is that all the horrible dementia memories are not erased, but you also remember who they once were.
For me I will remember a beautiful woman, who had a smile that made you feel the sun had come out, who also punched me in the face in A&E & went outside for 3 hours asking the neighbours to call the police because I was scary. The bottom line is that none of that matters now, she was still my mum & I was still the person who's hand she wouldnt let go of the day before she died. Dementia is a terrible illness for everyone involved, don't lose heart guys & to everyone who's said something nice when I've posted during this journey, thank you.
Dementia creates it's own hell for the sufferer, all a carer can do is support, help & love them anyway & when the journey ends that is what you feel proud of.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Zuzu72
sad news, my condolences
yet your post is such a celebration of your mum, you and your lives together that it does give me heart; thankyou

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
My condolences @Zuzu72 - caring for a loved one with dementia certainly puts us through the mill and it is no easy task trying to pull things together and process all that has happened afterwards.

Be proud of the role you took on, the support and love you gave. There were tough and scary times, I know, but also many positive and loving times - the love that saw you through them all will see you through the difficult period ahead as you come to terms with your loss.

We are here for you whenever you need to talk x.

Marcelle123

Nov 9, 2015
Yorkshire
I am so sorry to read of your loss.

I think that is a wonderful and moving OP that really sums up what it feels like when you lose someone with dementia and have two lots of memories at the same time - the person you lost, with all the sorrow it entailed, and the person that your Mum was, which is a very poignant memory too.

It's my late Mum's birthday today. Last year - her 97th - was the last day on which she was well; within three weeks, suddenly, she was gone. I still miss her so much.

Wishing you healing and solace, @Zuzu72 . xx

hilaryd

May 28, 2017
That was beautifully put, @Zuzu72 - and I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. My mum died in January, and I still miss her so much - there's no-one quite like a mum. You're quite right to feel proud of the care you gave her - I hope it helps a little with the grieving.