Mum diagnosed with AD today

Tom767

Dec 29, 2023
Hello all,

I posted a few weeks back about my mum and our suspicion she would be diagnosed - well today she was . Told that the brain mri score was left side -1 and right side -2 . The nurse said this was mild stage - mums main issue is her memory and it’s not good . But she is living normal and going shopping for food and driving ( until now ) to see friends . Her speech isn’t great but she hasn’t got any other symptoms at present . obviously she does seem distant etc and you have to speak else she won’t - but this is why we thought AD . I really hope that the new drugs come in early 2025 to help people suffering - these could be game changers for so many - and it’s important to stay positive .

GillP

Aug 11, 2021
Hello all,

I posted a few weeks back about my mum and our suspicion she would be diagnosed - well today she was . Told that the brain mri score was left side -1 and right side -2 . The nurse said this was mild stage - mums main issue is her memory and it’s not good . But she is living normal and going shopping for food and driving ( until now ) to see friends . Her speech isn’t great but she hasn’t got any other symptoms at present . obviously she does seem distant etc and you have to speak else she won’t - but this is why we thought AD . I really hope that the new drugs come in early 2025 to help people suffering - these could be game changers for so many - and it’s important to stay positive .
Sorry to hear of your Mum’s diagnosis. She still sounds fairly independent and it’s good to hear that she enjoys having friends. Does she live alone?

A cure would be amazing and the next best thing is better medication but most come with side effects.

She is lucky to have you around. Hopefully there are others too. Wishing you all well.

Tom767

Dec 29, 2023
Sorry to hear of your Mum’s diagnosis. She still sounds fairly independent and it’s good to hear that she enjoys having friends. Does she live alone?

A cure would be amazing and the next best thing is better medication but most come with side effects.

She is lucky to have you around. Hopefully there are others too. Wishing you all well.
Yes she lives alone - the GP and memory clinic nurse have been really good . I know that AD can change someone alot and in the end does . But anything early on that people can advise on what someone should be doing ? Like exercise and eating better ?