Mum (carer) has had a stroke

NickP

Feb 23, 2021
I think I just need to off load... my dad has Alzheimer's. Mum has been caring for him at home & struggling now for some time. Dad has had a couple of stays in a care home for respite & is there now - this came about 2 weeks ago when mum hit rock bottom.
We are also selling their house so mum can downsize and there will then be funds for dad's ongoing care.
This has all been extremely stressful.
Today I got a call to say my mum was being taken to hospital - I live an hour away but visit regularly & help as much as I can. I went straight away of course & have been with her in A&E.
It's now been confirmed that she's had a stroke & has been admitted.
I am certain stress has caused this & I feel so awful that it has come to this. I'm meant to be trying to get a couple of hours sleep before going back to the hospital but just feel so sad and angry that Alzheimers is taking (has taken really) my dad & now its basically making my mum ill too.
Thank you for reading - I'm sorry for the long post. I just needed to talk about it.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`m so sorry @NickP

These are not empty words, I can just imagine the position you are in and wouldn`t wish it on anyone.

I do hope your mother will not be severely affected by her stroke but whatever her condition, it seems the time is right for permanent residential care for your dad. She can`t return to full time caring again.

There is no apology necessary for a post of any length. This is what the forum is for and I hope you will continue to post to off load and include updates on the health of your parents

Take care

Dancing Queen 41

Feb 23, 2024
I`m so sorry @NickP

These are not empty words, I can just imagine the position you are in and wouldn`t wish it on anyone.

I do hope your mother will not be severely affected by her stroke but whatever her condition, it seems the time is right for permanent residential care for your dad. She can`t return to full time caring again.

There is no apology necessary for a post of any length. This is what the forum is for and I hope you will continue to post to off load and include updates on the health of your parents

Take care
I am in a similar position with my husband and I can understand how it has affected your dear Mother. Bless her. Sending love and hope things improve.Try to get some rest

NickP

Feb 23, 2021
@Grannie G and @Dancing Queen 41
Thank you for your replies and support. Mum is doing very well & thankfully the effects of the stroke,although evident, could have been much, much worse.
I am so relieved that Dad is in respite currently.
I totally agree, today I will call the care home to extend the respite & explain (they already know permenant was in our plans at some point) that we will need to make the arrangement permenant once the house sale has completed (hopefully in about a month). Mum did agree yesterday that this has all shown that Dad can't come home.
I ran on adrenalin yesterday - now its all hit me and the tears have come.
Thank you again for your kindness.