Mum and dad both have alzheimers/ dementia

Alison5

Mar 29, 2020
Hi I have just joined.
My mum was diagnosed over a year ago and my dad december 2019...
In February we took the decision to put dad into a care home as he kept falling and did not know what he was doing anymore.
To say I am heartbroken is an understatement, I fell out with my sisters at one point blaming everyone that he was taken into care but myself.
My mum's ok living with my sister, but I can't even see my dad now, I took a year off carers leave from the NHS to care for them now I have no one to care for, I feel broken, lost and depressed...

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Alison5
a warm welcome to DTP
so tough for your family to have both parents affected
sadly the presence of dementia seems to raise family tensions
but between you all you have looked out for your parents and will no doubt continue to do so
it's an odd feeling when the hands on care is no longer in your own hands, thoigh the caring never stops
I hopevyou find your way ... if you return to the NHS you will certainly be helping to care for many folk who are in need of support

Alison5

Mar 29, 2020
Hi Shedrech

thank you for your message, yes its so sad for all of us, and i have just had a call my dad has thrown himself on the floor again and cut his head open and they are now waiting for the ambulance.
I just don't know what to do as i cant be with him.

I don't feel in the right head space to return to NHS at present, I have asked the care home if i can volunteer there and they are trying to sort it out now as they have a lot of staff off, at least then i could look after my dad and any other elder that needs my support.

Very testing times for everyone at the moment.

stay safe
alison