MRI scan

Mumneedshelp

Feb 23, 2022
Hi all
We finally got a ‘telephone’ appointment with her doctor for mum who has massive memory problems that are getting increasingly worse, the doctor said to my stepdad that due to her age, 65, and how sudden and severe the memory problems are he wanted an mri to see if anything was pressing on her brain, the doctors then sent a letter, attached to a text, that my parents couldn’t download as they are not at all technical, I did this for them and the letter states that the doctor has referred her for an mri scan as he thinks she has cancer! She was called the following day for her scan appointment and this is on Wednesday, has anyone heard of anything like this before? We have only been thinking down the dementia route and I now can’t stop thinking that we have left it too long if it may be some form of cancer ?

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
probably so its quicker. they do a 2 week cancer referral to get them done quickly. it may well not be cancer at all and the doctor may not suspect cancer. i was on a 2 week referral for a mammogram but its just it gets done quickly. i didnt have cancer but its just in case. you would have to wait a while if just a general mri scan. my husband had a 2 week referral for ct scan in case of cancer but he was fine too. dont read too much into it and take it as it comes

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I wouldn’t think that your doctor was being anything beyond super careful. When doctors write referrals for all sorts of tests, they will add a note which I often think is a pointer to the pathologist or radiologist as to the possibilities for diagnosis.

It is better to eliminate all sorts of things then just to assume certain things and base a diagnosis on assumptions than actual evidence.

My husband has just had an iron infusion and if that doesn’t get a result, then they will start thinking about the chance of cancer. it happens.

Mumneedshelp

Feb 23, 2022
Hank you both for your input, hopefully it is just a precaution, I’m guessing we’ll find out soon enough x