Moving rooms

KazzyF

Nov 12, 2013
Solihull
Hi guys
My mum is in a Care Home and lives "upstairs" at the moment which means that when she wants fresh air or a "fag" :-( she has to wander downstairs and ask. A room came free downstairs recently with a raised bed right outside the window which we could have used. The residents downstairs are much more with it and active like my mum, but when it came to moving she got really aggressive (not a surprise to me) and refused to move even though she hates the current room. The reason given is that it is not her garden. I am at a loss as to how to persuade her to move so that she can enjoy her life a little more. Any ideas???

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Hi Kazzy,

Can you try telling her that 'her room' is being decorated, and she is being asked to go to the 'other room' whilst its being done? Hopefully, if she will agree to that, once she is in the 'new room', and especially when she realises how easy it is to nip out for a smoke, she will perhaps settle there quickly? x

KazzyF

Nov 12, 2013
Solihull
Hi
I am not sure this would work. She is quite aware in many ways and would probably refuse to move. I might chat with the carers though and see what they think. ;)

Thanks for the tip

Raggedrobin

Jan 20, 2014
My mum started in a room at the back of the nh and a lovely room came up with a balcony (would have to be kept locked) but a lovely area out there to keep plants etc and a great view. I showed it to mum and she wouldn't budge. To me, it seems a shame, but I guess to a dementia sufferer, it is all about what makes them feel secure. Mum takes ownership of the room now and couldn't understand why I would want her to go into 'someone else's' room.
I knew it would be a big deal for her to move but hoped it might be her forever room. Now I have had to accept that what she wants is a sense of security and no change, the aesthetics don't really interest her. She would have had to spend ages anyway settling in a new room, she would forever be trying to go back to her room, across the corridor, so in the end, she has saved herself the aggro and the staff a lot of hassle. I think we have to remember that what dementia people want is not always what we want for them.

KazzyF

Nov 12, 2013
Solihull
Thanks Raggedrobin. I guess this is it with my Mum although she had previously agreed that it was a good idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point