Moving from one care home to another

luggy

Jan 25, 2023
Hello. It looks as if I might have to move my mum from her nursing home. It is unexpected as I thought she would end her days in her current nursing home. However, her current residence is de-registering from being a nursing home and, consequently, mum's FNC is being stopped because of this. Mum could remain where she is, however she's in a nursing home because she has nursing needs - this was identified at her last DST which was just one month ago. The ICB have since carried out another assessment on mum because of this latest development with the home, and they're now saying that mum doesn't need to have the benefit of a nurse being on duty 24 hours a day.

Mum is in a very bad way, and is bedridden, malnourished and completely dependent on others for everything. She's in the final stages of dementia and at her last CHC assessment scored 1 Severe and 6 Highs (I'm appealing the ineligibility decision).

I worry that moving mum will be very detrimental to her well-being.

I worry that her nursing needs won't be met if I leave her where she is - mum is administered Lorazepam for her behaviour and agitation, which needs to be closely monitored by a nurse.

I worry about the logistics of moving her. She would need to be transported in some kind of ambulance. Who arranges this? Will we have to pay for the transport, even though it's not really our choice to move mum?

Any ideas? Thank you.