moving from care home - long distance in the uk

Summer23

Aug 18, 2013
UK
Hello, I am new to the site and would welcome advice about how to move my relative from a care home to another within the uk to be closer to family. The move will be about 500 miles. My relatives GP is in support of this. The matter is complicated by my relative no longer having capacity to consent and having an LPA for financial matters. I do not want to tell the home management until I have all arrangements in place. I am looking for a suitable local home with vacancies at the moment. I am anxious that the appointee for finance may try to extend this to include welfare to block the move; they are not next of kin. I would be grateful for any advice; thank you.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Hi and welcome to Talking Point.

Are you saying that there is another person (is this a relative or a professional?) who is acting as an attorney (not appointee - that's for dealing with the DWP) for financial matters for your mother?

Apart from any other problem, how do you propose to pay for the new home if the current attorney has no input into the choice of the home? I'm a bit confused about what you're trying to do here, TBH, because it almost sounds as if you are trying to spirit your mother away without input from anyone else. I'm sorry if I've misunderstood the situation.

Summer23

Aug 18, 2013
UK
Long distance home transfer

Hi and welcome to Talking Point.

Are you saying that there is another person (is this a relative or a professional?) who is acting as an attorney (not appointee - that's for dealing with the DWP) for financial matters for your mother?

Apart from any other problem, how do you propose to pay for the new home if the current attorney has no input into the choice of the home? I'm a bit confused about what you're trying to do here, TBH, because it almost sounds as if you are trying to spirit your mother away without input from anyone else. I'm sorry if I've misunderstood the situation.

Jennifer; This is not a good start to my first use of this site. You have misunderstood; not least because I was not discussing my mother and at no point mentioned her. If this is the tone used to try to 'help' relatives who use this site for help and support then I would rather not avail of it. FYI the person managing the finances of my relative is a Solicitor who we feel as a family has been very negligent in managing my relatives money and not at all interested their well being. We have the full support of the GP and are following their advice; I think that I will continue to discuss my concerns there.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Jennifer; This is not a good start to my first use of this site. You have misunderstood; not least because I was not discussing my mother and at no point mentioned her. If this is the tone used to try to 'help' relatives who use this site for help and support then I would rather not avail of it. FYI the person managing the finances of my relative is a Solicitor who we feel as a family has been very negligent in managing my relatives money and not at all interested their well being. We have the full support of the GP and are following their advice; I think that I will continue to discuss my concerns there.

I'm really very sorry - for some reason I thought it was your mother, and for that I apologise.

OK - so your relative has a professional acting at attorney. You might want to have a look for posts made by Jancis http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/memberlist.php since she was in an almost identical situation although in that case she was dealing with a Deputy.

And I'm also sorry that you didn't like my tone: I, as much as you, can only go by what you write which is why I apologised upfront if I had misunderstood what you said. Having said that, I think this will be an extremely hard thing to do without the cooperation of the attorney, not least because of the financial side of things.

While it's good you have the GP on your side, you should probably also look at the Mental Capacity Act Code of Practice if you haven't already, which can be downloaded here https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/mental-capacity-act-code-of-practice as it outlines the sort of things that you may or maybe not able to do.

Something you might want to consider is if this my be a situation where you could apply to be a Deputy for Welfare. These aren't granted often (in England at any rate) but it might be possible to apply to the court for a single decision about where your relative should live.

Best of Luck.