• All threads and posts regarding Coronavirus COVID-19 can now be found in our new area specifically for Coronavirus COVID-19 discussion.

    You can directly access this area >here<.

Moving counties


Registered User
Feb 4, 2016
Hi everyone, my first time of being on here. I really need some advice. my dad lives in Liverpool but has just been diagnosed with Alzheimer's after he was found wandering around not knowing where he lived and was taken into a homeless night shelter and taken to hospital the next day. I live in Kent and would really love to bring him down to me, he also said he wants to be down south. Does anyone have any idea how this works please? thank you :)


Registered User
Jul 20, 2011
Welcome to TP you will find lots of support on here. It does sound as though your Dad needs some help and support quickly. I don't know the process but I know a number of people have moved parents to be closer to them - I do know of some people whose parents have moved in with the family initially and then make the move to a care home or specialist facility from there. Others will have more experience and i'm sure will post on here soon.

Meanwhile it might be an idea for you to locate your nearest carers cafe and pop along to have a chat and find out local info about day centres, sheltered housing, specialist facilities and care homes and carers. They will have all the info on local facilities and you will get a cup of coffee and friendly faces too!!

It is worth also applying for Attendance Allowance as soon as you can - this will be scrapped soon and no new applicants so you need to get it sorted asap and as he is wandering at night you should apply for the higher rate. Have a look at it and Age UK will help with forms 0800 169 2081 - they are quite complicated in that you have to think about what care he needs rather than what he has in place at the moment.

And lastly it is worth applying for Power of Attorney especially if you are planning a big move etc - both for health and welfare and financial. You can do this online for a fraction of the cost of a solicitor https://www.gov.uk/power-of-attorney/overview

Welcome and good luck xx

Tiller Girl

Registered User
May 14, 2012
Hi there sorry to hear about your dad. I'm sure you'll find it much easier for both of you if he's closer.

Is he going to live with you ? If so I would imagine that you'd then have to register him with your doctor and take things from there.

That's all I did when our son had to come and live with us because of a severe illness.

I would imagine it's slightly harder if he's got his own property up there to sell. Then you'd need power of attorney so that you could sell it and buy him something else nearer to you.

If he's in a council property ..I really wouldn't know how that works. Perhaps contacting your own local authority first and ask questions.

The other thing is , in your local area there will be an Alzeihmers office and I suggest you get in touch with them and they can help you sort things out.

Make sure that he claims Attendance Allowance too, you can then claim Carers Allowance when he's closer to you.


Registered User
Feb 4, 2016
Thank you

Thank you so much. It is heart warming to know that people really do care and I am not alone in this. Dad is still in hospital as he is very newly diagnosed and social services are going to push this to a Best Interest Meeting I think. Dad has no recall whatsoever now and had been living in a squat for 4 months before I knew and put him in a new flat so things really are bad at the moment. I have a younger sister who was visiting him regularly but she failed to tell me about his poor living conditions until December just before he moved into a new flat. I just want to bring him to Kent where he has two daughters and two granddaughters and we can look after him. He is now saying that he wants to move down south whereas before he was adamant he wanted to stay in Liverpool.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Latest member