Motion Monitors

Rishile

Dec 28, 2022
My husband is coming home from hospital today and my Social Workers have insisted on us having a motion sensor near the front door in case my husband tries to leave the house when I'm not looking. At this stage, I believe this to be very unlikely as he is very, very clingy and won't let me out of his sight. However, I accept this may change at any time.

If my husband walks past this sensor to get to the door, there will be a recording of my voice telling him not to leave or whatever. It has been suggested that I say 'Don't leave the house (name), I'm upstairs.' The recording can be changed and it can be switched off.

In my experience, if my husband is agitated and choses to ignore the message, then it will be useless regardless of what I say on the recording. I have said it would be more useful to have the monitor on the stairs so if he goes downstairs - for example - during the night, it would wake me. My biggest concern would be that he would try to go down the stairs unaided and once downstairs is more vulnerable to risks (going to the kitchen and turning something on, leaving the house etc).

I still feel that the sensor on it's own is not much help without a strong message. I thought maybe shouting 'STOP' may help but I'm not sure. Does anyone have one of these sensors and what do they think or can anyone think of a strong message that may work.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
Why not let social services provide their one and purchase a second one from Adam?

The Adam one could go upstairs?
I would keep the message short! Stop! It’s too early ! return to bed?

someone suggested installing a curtain across the front door, so that they forget there is a door there?

I would airtag him for sure, perhaps remove all jackets except one, then sew an AirTag in the lining?

I would fill out a Herbert protocol form now.

Also the pressure mats that alarm when they leave the bed, could be considered?

Wishing you the best of luck!

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
Do you have a keysafe installed?
A keysafe allows you to run out of a property with nothing.
Then if someone locks you out you can gain access with no issues.

I don’t believe that any house where someone has dementia should have one of those chain locks. It only takes three minutes with a screwdriver to remove one if you have one.

Cappy67

May 11, 2023
Before mum went in a home I had a ring doorbell, it has motion sensors which worked well.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
We have cameras with motion sensors. They’re great. U could easily set one up in the hallway upstairs - it sends an alert when it detects the motion. I use it when Im out. I ignore the cameras until I have an alert and then I can check she’s ok.

Or the other tech I use is a fall detector. It’s by mums bed. As soon as her legs go over the side it rings me in my room. I can then help her to the loo and make sure she’s fine.

for the peace of mind they’re so good.

Rugby kate

Nov 27, 2019
Motion sensors may not be the answer. I tried them with mum to no effect. I kept the door locked instead.

Rishile

Dec 28, 2022
I am currently using the monitor I have across the doorway of our bedroom. I have recorded 'STOP' very loud so if my husband gets out of bed at night and I don't wake up, when he goes out of the bedroom door, the monitor not only stops him (it does work) it also wakes me up.

My social worker is the one who is insisting on there being a monitor to stop him getting out of the house. I believe it is better - at least at night - having the one near the bedroom door. He couldn't get to the front door before I got to him. As Social Services are paying for it, I have no say in what I am provided.