1. Welcome to Talking Point - an online community for everyone who is affected by dementia. Whether you have dementia or know someone who does, we will be there for you.

If you need help using Talking Point, read our Help pages or contact us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk

2. Q&A: Dementia Together Magazine - Wed 25 April, 4-5pm

Do you have any questions about Dementia together, previously known as Living with dementia magazine? Maybe you'd like to know how they worked with people affected by dementia to come up with the magazine's new name, or how they decide on the articles to publish each issue? Danny and Gareth from the magazine team will be on hand to answer your questions in this thread on Wednesday 25 April between 4-5pm.

Feel free to post any questions between now and then, and we'll answer them next Wednesday.

Mother living on her own with early dementia

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by Fluffyjones, Apr 16, 2018 at 12:50 PM.

1. Fluffyjones

Fluffyjones New member

Monday
    #1 Fluffyjones, Apr 16, 2018 at 12:50 PM
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2018 at 1:26 PM
    My mother lives on her own. She is nearly 70 but had been suffering dementia type symptoms for many years although not officially diagnosed. She is starting to feel she needs more support. I don't want her to go to a home where she is just another number and she is still reletivly able but she needs someone around and I just wondered if anyone knew if there was a fasility dedicated to dementia care but early stages where the residents can live relatively independently?

2. karaokePete

karaokePete Registered User

Jul 23, 2017
    Male
    N Ireland
    #2 karaokePete, Apr 16, 2018 at 1:27 PM
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2018 at 3:36 PM
    Hello @Fluffyjones, welcome to TP. You should find this a friendly, informative and supportive place.
    You'll be glad to know that putting someone into a home is the final option, not the first. Do make contact with your Local Authority Adult Services for an assessment as they may be able to provide a lot of help to enable your Mother to continue to live independently.
    If you need help the AS help line may be able to assist and the details are:-
    National Dementia Helpline
    0300 222 11 22
    Our helpline advisers are here for you.

Helpline opening hours:
    Monday to Wednesday 9am – 8pm
    Thursday and Friday 9am – 5pm
    Saturday and Sunday 10am – 4pm

3. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Dundee
  4. starry eyes

starry eyes Registered User

Apr 10, 2018
    Hi my mum is living alone with dementia and will not move in with me. She keeps saying she wants a sheltered accommodation then when I begin the process she says no she doesn’t want to leave her house and says I’m trying to get rid of her. Everyday she changes her mind. Making me very worn down and unsure what to say or do