Mother living on her own with early dementia

Fluffyjones

Apr 16, 2018
My mother lives on her own. She is nearly 70 but had been suffering dementia type symptoms for many years although not officially diagnosed. She is starting to feel she needs more support. I don't want her to go to a home where she is just another number and she is still reletivly able but she needs someone around and I just wondered if anyone knew if there was a fasility dedicated to dementia care but early stages where the residents can live relatively independently?

Last edited:

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Fluffyjones, welcome to TP. You should find this a friendly, informative and supportive place.
You'll be glad to know that putting someone into a home is the final option, not the first. Do make contact with your Local Authority Adult Services for an assessment as they may be able to provide a lot of help to enable your Mother to continue to live independently.
If you need help the AS help line may be able to assist and the details are:-
National Dementia Helpline
0300 222 11 22
Our helpline advisers are here for you.

Helpline opening hours:
Monday to Wednesday 9am – 8pm
Thursday and Friday 9am – 5pm
Saturday and Sunday 10am – 4pm

Last edited:

starry eyes

Apr 10, 2018
Hi my mum is living alone with dementia and will not move in with me. She keeps saying she wants a sheltered accommodation then when I begin the process she says no she doesn’t want to leave her house and says I’m trying to get rid of her. Everyday she changes her mind. Making me very worn down and unsure what to say or do