Mother in law refuses help.

HJgoldengal

Jun 14, 2016
Hi,

I was hoping to get some support and thoughts on my situation.

My partners mother P has suffered physical illness (osteoporosis, digestive illness, strokes) and mental ill health (depression) but her health has declined. She has been tested for dementia and is developing the symptoms, although she refuses to admit it. P is in her late sixties and although she sees her GP regularly, she abuses her prescription medication and will lie to medical staff so she can continue her 'independence'.

Her personality and moods are badly affected. P is disinhibited and prone to saying rude things. She takes risks with her safety. She has poor memory and loses things. She has problems with hoarding. Her concentration is shot and her ability to plan and complete daily tasks is reduced. She refuses to use a walking aid, wear her hearing aids or glasses. She has had five falls this year (breaking her ribs and foot) and tends to avoid going to the GP when she is unwell. Instead she will wait until the evening and call us, inevitable we have to taxi her to A&E or call an ambulance. Last time I went I asked the nurse if the record listed dementia - P was getting confused and agitated about how blood tests and urine tests happen - and the nurse said that there was no note on the file but also that my comment made sense wit how mother in la was presenting. P has been to the memory clinic and had scans regarding her strokes so either the diagnosis isn't firm or she has another issue. Regardless of this, no medical professional seems worried that she has ten prescription items (painkillers and occasionally benzos) or that she keeps failing/being admitted for inappropriate stuff.

My partner and I get along great and have had four loving years together. P tends to manufacture drama, she has banished my sister in law (and her own grandkids) for silly small upsets and the family capitulate to whatever my mother in law wants. She is paranoid that my father in law is cheating on her and while he refuses to divorce her, he is in denial and refuses to step in. P can be loud, rude, unpredictable and manic one day and then exhausted and tearful the next. She is incredibly secretive and often confides in us things that make me worry about how safe she is. She refused to let anyone help her.

My partner and his family are unwilling to step in and contact P's doctor. If I do it, I am worried I'll be cut off like my sister in law. My partner is fighting hard to gain her trust and I'd feel crappy if my acting on this means he loses his family. Without any support from his family and a GP who seems oblivious, what can I do?

Quilty

Aug 28, 2014
GLASGOW
You may have to wait for a crisis before anything changes. It took a stay in the hospital before my mum had to accept a little help.

V-DiL

Oct 10, 2015
I'ts tough

I would agree, sometimes a crisis can enable change but in the meantime you may wish to put down some boundaries so you don't get sucked in to the dramas. As one who's been there - the strain on your own family unit can be considerable when supporting in such situations. I agree, building and maintaining trust helps especially when they become so paranoid. It sounds like you, your partner and P's husband need to discuss the situation and come up with a plan together to help her. Denial isn't going to help. Maybe her husband could go to the GP (for himself) and explain the situation.

You might wish to see if her GP has a Community Matron as part of the practice - good ones can be really helpful and will come and see her in her home. Has she given anyone permission to speak to her GP? Are LPAs in place just in case?

HillyBilly

Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
As above.
P has family who really should be the ones to be taking control of the situation. It must be hard for you to stand by and watch the train crash though.
I can only suggest that you do your best to support your partner and his Dad, try and point them to outside sources of advice, help and support that, in time, they might feel happier turning to (maybe when a crisis occurs). In the meantime maybe also keep your own written records of your concerns and examples of P's behaviour so that others have the benefit of your observations in the future? You could also write to the GPs involved but maybe do this with your partner's "permission"? That way, at least your concerns will be on official record.
Best wishes.

Otiruz

Nov 28, 2015
Kent
As an additional comment I would add that a close friend was in a very similar position and in order to avoid the eventual 'car crash' she intervened. This was with all the very best intentions - the rest of her husband's family, including her husband turned what was a small crisis involving SS into an almighty drama with my friend labelled the trouble-maker.

It seems that even with all of the most obvious signs that this lady requires help and is unable to acknowledge this, there are no indications that anyone will step forward and take control. With the best will in the world I would keep a diary of everything you see so that when needed the health care professionals can draw on P's history. Also, keep nudging your partner to write or contact her GP but perhaps keep a respective distance for your own wellbeing. There will undoubtedly be a situation which will require medical or social intervention at some point. I hope there is LPA in place.

One of the problems I succumbed to when dealing with my mum was that over a long period of time, I moved the goal-posts to accommodate her every increasingly bizarre behaviour. Whilst I kept pushing to get help, at the same time I accepted her hoarding, living on sandwiches, medication mix-ups etc etc etc. It becomes the norm! With P's mood swings everyone is living on eggshells and are frightened of the consequences of rocking the boat. Metaphorically speaking - as long as you can ensure there will be life jackets around when this happens no one will drown. Your local carer's group can help support you and talking to Age UK may help too - and obviously everyone on TP.

HJgoldengal

Jun 14, 2016
Thank you everyone who has replied, your suggestions to log things and to think about the community matron have given me something to do.

I did talk to my partner about whether the in laws have an LPA and we are going to try to find out what father in law has set up.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Micmomgram 5