Money wording...

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
I found loose change all over my house for several years. I never realised until Ken had his first memory test that he had no idea what the coins were worth or how to add up any longer. He had handed out notes every time he went shopping as this was the only way he could pay. This was the reason we always had over £200 scattered around the house in change. And I never realised for years that this was the case!!!

xxTinaT

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Before mum's AD was diagnosed I used to take her for her weekly shop and noticed that she had started to get in a muddle. She liked to profer the correct money, or if the bill was, say, £18.12 she would offer a £20 note and 12p. Unfortunately, the 12p was something like 6p so she would get £1.94 in change. She would then come to our house for a cuppa and count the contents of her purse and wonder why she had so much small change.

She always worried about money, she never understood that she had ample in the bank (pre self-funding days!) and that if she ran short she could go and draw out some more.

Margaret

Margaret

imac.girll1

Feb 20, 2009
Glasgow
Very interesting replies!

Dear all,

Having raised this topic more to raise a smile, I have been stunned by the posts to it and some of the sad stories of unscrupulous people in the world, we all know they exist but when it happens to our loved ones it makes us so anrgy and disappointed.

Before my father died, who was also an AZ sufferer, he got to the point he only carried a pound of loose change in his pocket and everything else was paid via debit card, this of course was before PIN numbers and he could sign for it, but this raises another point, he couldn't actually sign his name, so his signature was a printed name!!!!

Luckily, very luckily, my father was born and bread in this area, and everyone knew him, and just accepted this as his signature, i finally took over his banking etc by becoming a joint card holder for his accounts which allowed me access to any unusal action on it, but happy to say this never happened!

Have a good day all.

xx