Money troubles

sallyhol

Jul 31, 2008
Yorkshire
Hi all, in short I have discovered Mum might have been the victim of some form of cheque fraud. Lots of cheques have been written by someone else and mum has signed them, I think. Same writing for 2 different names. I rang the police on Tues and they say theres not enough evidence to proceed. ie they wont be able to prove she didnt know about them etc. I was a little bit annoyed to say the least. I have had to take Mums cheque book off her and leave it at the bank, and I have become a 3rd party on her account so at least I can keep an eye on her statements etc.
Just wondering if any one else has had a similar experience.
Sally

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Hi Sally

You might want to look at the elder abuse site and maybe call their hotline. They will be able to tell you if the police are correct at any rate.

elderabuse.org.uk

I find it hard to believe that there isn't some way to follow through with this, but I think your best bet is the elder abuse hotline.

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
Community Safety Unit of local police force

Hi Sally,

In a similar situation, the Community Safety Unit of the local Police force were extremely helpful. I can’t give you any links to your own local force, but if you google the name of your local police force, say Yorkshire Police Community Safety, then you should find phone numbers for the relevant department.

They were very hot indeed about dealing with vulnerable people, especially those with needs such as dementia. And we were put in touch with them via the police station who couldn’t really help.

Might be worth a try.

seaside

Sep 5, 2008
I wonder if you have talked to the bank about this - they may be able to do more than the police? They can trace the accounts that the money has gone into via the details on the bank statement and I would think that they should do that for you. Even if it has gone to a third party eg a furniture store then those people should be able to say who had the goods. (although looking at your post again it seems you doo know who has had the money).

Talking about taking the case to the Banking Ombudsman generally helps if you don't get anywhere with a polite request for assistance in what would seem to be a fraud.

Best of luck!

sallyhol

Jul 31, 2008
Yorkshire
Thanks all, the bank found out the two names being used, they have been great, although they were the ones who suggested I rang the police.
I will try the ideas suggested. It's knowing where to start and the most appropriate people.

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
I do hope that you can get somewhere with this terrible fraud of a vulnerable lady and that you take up the suggestions offered.

My mother was a victim of a telephone fraud. She was phoned by people who said they were from SKY TV and that her arial insurance was out of date and that she must renew it by sending them a cheque for £96. SKY TV is her lifeline, she loves all the animal programmes and so of course she gave them all her credit details over the phone.

A couple of days later she told me about this. I got in touch with SKY who of course had no knowledge of this. I then phoned the police who came round within two days and they suggested that I first phone the Company up (fortunately the telephone number was on her bank statement) which I did. I told the man who answered the phone number that the police were involved, gave him their names and number and told him if the money was not returned to my mother's bank account within seven days I would prosecute. Fortunately my bluff worked and the money was put back into her account.

Hope my tale helps you to work your way through the deception played on your mother. Words cannot express my contempt for such people.

xxTinaT

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Hello Sally

Words cannot express my contempt for such people.

I agree.
It is a disgrace:mad:
Hope it works out for you and your Mum.

Barb X

Sooe

Nov 10, 2008
Talk to bank

Hi Sally
How shameful these wicked people truly are! have had similiar things happen to a relative, but have to say both Bank and Police were great, (suppose we were very lucky the amounts were quite large and easily spotted and reported) helping to sort it out, the old are just so vunerable let alone if they are suffering illness's too, have also had trouble with telephone salesman, having equipment etc put into house costing thousands etc etc no comebacks, often relative not even knowing what they are or what they are for, when we weren't even initially aware, our loved ones are so positive they can still cope independantly, but put so much trust in people, sadly this trust is often misused! will watch this thread with great interest on ideas to safeguard etc and will also be looking at the site suggested for Elderley abuse....we need to safeguard them for their own sakes, who knows what awful people out there ready to pounce and abuse, these people should be so very ashamed.
Good Luck and fingers crossed nothing else happens.

Sooe xxx