Money running out?

Grandaughtercare

Apr 26, 2024
Hi everyone, I’m looking for advice for my grandad. He owns an area of land where he and I both live (in separate homes), he has expressed he doesn’t want to go into a care home and currently has in home carers but the money is running out quickly.
I don’t think we’d be eligible for a deferred payment agreement as it would be to fund home carers not a care home so my main question is, what will happen when his money does run out?
Will he have to sell the land even though we both still live here, and if so would I be able to buy it from him or will it be seized and sold privately? There are other family members involved but if I was given the chance to buy it from him we could both continue to live here and his care could continue as it is. Any advice welcome! Thank you

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Well hello and welcome first of all and thank you for posting.
So many questions but I'll keep it short, is this a UK based question, just so you get the right answers, laws vary even thought the UK and it sounds like you have a very complex situation, possible too much to say on here.
The AZ society had a helpline where maybe you could discuss it more freely than on here.
Never think there isn't always someone here to listen even when me they can't actually help. K

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @Grandaughtercare.

I too think it would be helpful for you to call the Support Line to talk with someone there You’ll get the details here -

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
If he has capacity he can sell anything, it should be at a fair price to avoid any future deprivation of capital accusation.

Are the two properties and all the land on one title at the Land Registry?

Grandaughtercare

Apr 26, 2024
Well hello and welcome first of all and thank you for posting.
So many questions but I'll keep it short, is this a UK based question, just so you get the right answers, laws vary even thought the UK and it sounds like you have a very complex situation, possible too much to say on here.
The AZ society had a helpline where maybe you could discuss it more freely than on here.
Never think there isn't always someone here to listen even when me they can't actually help. K
I am in the U.K. yes! Thank you, I am looking into professional advice but everything takes so long I just wondered if anyone had any tips

Grandaughtercare

Apr 26, 2024
If he has capacity he can sell anything, it should be at a fair price to avoid any future deprivation of capital accusation.

Are the two properties and all the land on one title at the Land Registry?
He no longer has capacity and I am not the POA, I could pay market value for it I just didn’t know if it would be up to us to sell between ourselves or if social services would step in somehow

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
If you’re happy to pay market value there shouldn’t be an issue. liaise with the POA to arrange the sale.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
@Grandaughtercare
If no POA somebody will have to apply for deputy to act for him in the house sale, if applying request specific permission to sell the house as he is in permanent residential care and proceeds will go towards care fees.

Social services won't mind house being sold, they will be delighted that the proceeds will be available for care.