Mom

Nancy.waye

Feb 16, 2013
Ontario, canada
My mom is 82 yrs old and is in the last stages of alzeimers. She has low blood pressure and is not eating or drinking for the last 4 days. She is always cold and sleeps off and on
She has lost 25 lbs in the past 2 months. The doctor says she could go in 1 or 2 months
I believe after reading everyone's post that it is sooner rather later. In my heart It is breaking my heart about losing her. How long can she survive with out food and water?
I can only pray to GOD that he takes her home soon as she doesn't deserve this , she has been a great mother to me and my siblings and her grandchildren.

tish

Feb 8, 2011
My mom is 82 yrs old and is in the last stages of alzeimers. She has low blood pressure and is not eating or drinking for the last 4 days. She is always cold and sleeps off and on
She has lost 25 lbs in the past 2 months. The doctor says she could go in 1 or 2 months
I believe after reading everyone's post that it is sooner rather later. In my heart It is breaking my heart about losing her. How long can she survive with out food and water?
I can only pray to GOD that he takes her home soon as she doesn't deserve this , she has been a great mother to me and my siblings and her grandchildren.

Dear Nancy, I so know how you feel as my niece is 37 and also in the last stageof the condition. She also isnt eating or drinking or not a lot and what we can get down her is a struggle. I'm sitting here in tears when i should be asleep. You know what its like when you cant switch off from everything. My heart goes out to you and hope your wish comes true. With love. Tish xxx

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Hello Nancy and welcome to TP, I understand your feelings no-one wants our love ones to suffer for longer than they have to but it is heartbreaking, I wish your lovely mum a peaceful journey ,

Jeany x

AnneD

Dec 3, 2012
Derbyshire
Thinking of you and your family at this very difficult time, Nancy. The illness is truly dreadful - no-one deserves to suffer like this.

I hope your Mum soon finds peace.

AnneD

SWMBO1950

Nov 17, 2011
Essex
Dear Nancy

I am very sorry to read about your Mum. This situation will come to us all at some stage and it is never going to be easy.

Without food and water chances of survival are not great - maybe a couple of weeks at the very best. You dont say if Mum is at home or in a home. Either way please ensure that she is made comfortable - if in a home this should be automatic but keep your eyes on the situation.

If she is with you I am sure the GP surgery will be able to contact nurses to come in and ensure she is kept as comfortable as possible.

Please talk to your mum even if you think she is not understanding you as the hearing is the the last of the senses to go.

You will remain in my thoughts. Bless you and your Mumxx

Nancy.waye

Feb 16, 2013
Ontario, canada
Dear Nancy, I so know how you feel as my niece is 37 and also in the last stageof the condition. She also isnt eating or drinking or not a lot and what we can get down her is a struggle. I'm sitting here in tears when i should be asleep. You know what its like when you cant switch off from everything. My heart goes out to you and hope your wish comes true. With love. Tish xxx

Dear Nancy

I am very sorry to read about your Mum. This situation will come to us all at some stage and it is never going to be easy.

Without food and water chances of survival are not great - maybe a couple of weeks at the very best. You dont say if Mum is at home or in a home. Either way please ensure that she is made comfortable - if in a home this should be automatic but keep your eyes on the situation.

If she is with you I am sure the GP surgery will be able to contact nurses to come in and ensure she is kept as comfortable as possible.

Please talk to your mum even if you think she is not understanding you as the hearing is the the last of the senses to go.

Thank you so very much. It means a lot to have the support. Mom is in a nursing home and they take very good care of her. She is ready coz she wants to go home and see her mom and dad. I did tell her to go as they would love to see her again. As the tears were rolling down my face.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Dear Nancy
I am so sorry
I hope that your Mum release is quick and very peaceful
Wishing you strength to get you through this most difficult time
XXXXXX

jan1962

May 19, 2012
bedlington northumberland
Dear Nancy,

So sorry to hear that you mum is in the final stage of this horrid illness.

Hope her passing over is peaceful and pain free.

Will hold you in my thoughts and of a prayer for you and your mum.

Bless you,

jan1962

Poppy1011

May 24, 2012
Unexplained burst of energy

My mom has recently had a little burst of energy. Can anyone tell me what this could mean.

Hello Nancy,
When I read your first post my immediate thought was how do you know when it's the final stage of this awful disease? because many times we have been here with my mum who has vascular dementia and we think she is between level 5 and 6 and on many ocassions she has been so poorly and off food etc and then she rally's round and starts to eat and chat. I know this could be down to TIA's but sometimes it just confuses me to know the difference between the two and how long between each phase of dementia. My heart goes out to you and whatever the reason for her burst of energy i hope you both manage to raise a smile to add to the memories. X

Nancy.waye

Feb 16, 2013
Ontario, canada
Hello Nancy,
When I read your first post my immediate thought was how do you know when it's the final stage of this awful disease? because many times we have been here with my mum who has vascular dementia and we think she is between level 5 and 6 and on many ocassions she has been so poorly and off food etc and then she rally's round and starts to eat and chat. I know this could be down to TIA's but sometimes it just confuses me to know the difference between the two and how long between each phase of dementia. My heart goes out to you and whatever the reason for her burst of energy i hope you both manage to raise a smile to add to the memories. X

It is really hard to explain. Because of my mothers diabetes and the fact that she is drinking maybe 60 ml of fluid and not taking any of her meds for diabetes. The doctor did tell us she has 1 to 2months left.

The memories that we are having right now will last forever in my heart.

Nancy.waye

Feb 16, 2013
Ontario, canada
It is really hard to explain. Because of my mothers diabetes and the fact that she is drinking maybe 60 ml of fluid and not taking any of her meds for diabetes. The doctor did tell us she has 1 to 2months left.

The memories that we are having right now will last forever in my heart.

It is really hard to determine each stage and how fast they go

Nancy.waye

Feb 16, 2013
Ontario, canada
Dear Nancy

Thank you. On March 15/2013 my mom passed away peacefully. I spoke to her and told her many many times that it is ok to go home and be with her parents. She wanted to go I could see,but she never was able to talk with her only sister who she adored. So on Friday I called my aunt as I did on a regular basis to keep her informed,(she lived in another province) My aunt told her that she loved and very much and she should go home to be with mom and dad. I then took the phone from her ear and took 2 steps sideways and as I did that my mom took her last breath.

She is at peace now and with he angels who will look after all of us.
Love
Nancy

Jenijill

Mar 12, 2012
Guildford
So sorry to hear of your loss, but she has peace at last. Wishing you strength in the coming days and months. Sending all my love
Jenny x