mom seems to have got worse

Mummysgirl

Jan 21, 2010
Mom has been doing quite well. Then a couple of weeks ago she had to go into hospital with a water infection. While there she got really confused to the point where the nurse phoned my dad asking him to speak to mom to try to calm her down as she was causing a real scene on the ward. She promptly told my dad he had to come and collect her. He said he couldn't do this as she was being given her antibiotics intravenously to which she put the phone down on the desk and told the nurse that if he didn't come and get her in 10 minutes she was going to walk out! Dad went to the hospital.
Cut a long story short, he calmed her down and she didn't seem too bad when he left her. She put it down to having a really bad dream (which included the lady in the next bed having sex!!)which made her confused.
I've just got back from a week's holiday abroad. Went to see mom and dad last night. Dad managed to get me on his own, away from mom, and told me that the other day mom got ready to go out. Dad asked her why she was wearing two blouses. She said she wasn't. She was! She then realised that she was wearing odd shoes.
The next day they went out and after walking around town for a while, visiting a couple of shops, they went to Morrisons for lunch. While there mom said her one shoe was really hurting her foot. Dad took the shoe from her and couldn't see any reason for it rubbing. He then looked again and realised mom had her shoes on the wrong feet and had been walking around all morning like this.
It just seems that since being in hospital she has not just taken a few steps back but has got much worse than she was before.
I'm trying really hard not to jump to conclusions that she is going to decline rapidly, but it's difficult.
Sorry I've gabbled on a bit, think I just needed to get this off my chest :(

Vonny

Feb 3, 2009
Telford
Water infections can have the most devastating effects, as you are discovering.

Chances are that once the infection has cleared (and it can take some shifting) your mum will return to her pre-infection behaviour. Occasionally long-term damage can be done but if it's been caught in good time, your mum stands a jolly good chance.

Please keep us updated with her progress xx