Mobility in late dementia

Juliebradley54

Feb 3, 2018
hi all, I care for my mum full time and would love to hear views of others on this subject. My mum has declined rapidly over 4 years but over last few months been very unsteady on her feet. I insist on her walking to and from toilet during the day despite her incontinence I feel that the movement is good. She is terrified of getting to her feet and gets really upset but I feel it helps to keep her moving. Am I being unkind?

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello Julie
welcome to TP
has your mum been assessed by an OT or physio recently? - if not it may well be worth having a chat with her GP and asking for a referral - maybe ask that she be tested for a UTI as well
you can also ask for a (re-)assessment of her care needs by her Local Authority Adult Services, and part of the care package would be a visit by an OT to her home to suggest aids and adaptions that may help her with her mobility
personally, I would be concerned that she is so fearful and upset, as that's going to affect her physical ability and may increase her risk of a fall

Last edited:

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Or she could be in some pain when standing. At the moment my mum is having problems with her knees and she does grimace a bit when I get her to stand up, but this does not happen often, sitting down that is, as she is nearly always up and walking around.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Micmomgram 5