Mobile Phone for emergency alarm.

Fred2

Jun 11, 2015
I am carer for my wife who has Alzheimers and lives at home with me. I need to be able to leave the house for 3 or 4 hours from time to time. During these periods we have been using an Auto Dial Plus alarm and pendant but find it does not meet our particular circumstances, for instance it ties up the landline so that no-one can use it to phone in while the alarm is operating. I am thinking instead of buying a simple mobile phone that uses pre-entered contact numbers available at the push of one button. Does anyone have experience of doing this? The reason I ask is that it is only when the equipment is used that its usefulness or otherwise emerges - the makers tend to be highly opmistic! Thank you.

Dee62

Mar 23, 2018
I am carer for my wife who has Alzheimers and lives at home with me. I need to be able to leave the house for 3 or 4 hours from time to time. During these periods we have been using an Auto Dial Plus alarm and pendant but find it does not meet our particular circumstances, for instance it ties up the landline so that no-one can use it to phone in while the alarm is operating. I am thinking instead of buying a simple mobile phone that uses pre-entered contact numbers available at the push of one button. Does anyone have experience of doing this? The reason I ask is that it is only when the equipment is used that its usefulness or otherwise emerges - the makers tend to be highly opmistic! Thank you.

Hi Fred,
I have only just seen this post so sorry for it being so long since your OP for me to reply. I bought my Mum one of these phones and it works very well, even though so far (touch wood!!) the button has only been pushed by mistake. I put in 3 numbers, my home number, my mobile and my partners mobile, it sends a text to each one (on my home phone it comes as a voice message) which you have to programme in beforehand. The only problem I do see with it is that mum sometimes forgets that the button is there so would not use it if she needed me when she is forgetting it is there, would your wife be able to remember it is there? On another post someone was asking about MyHomeHelper which seems to do everything but make the tea, maybe that would be worth you looking at?

Fred2

Jun 11, 2015
Hi Fred,
I have only just seen this post so sorry for it being so long since your OP for me to reply. I bought my Mum one of these phones and it works very well, even though so far (touch wood!!) the button has only been pushed by mistake. I put in 3 numbers, my home number, my mobile and my partners mobile, it sends a text to each one (on my home phone it comes as a voice message) which you have to programme in beforehand. The only problem I do see with it is that mum sometimes forgets that the button is there so would not use it if she needed me when she is forgetting it is there, would your wife be able to remember it is there? On another post someone was asking about MyHomeHelper which seems to do everything but make the tea, maybe that would be worth you looking at?
Many thanks Dee62. Very useful, and I will take a look at MyHomeHelper. Best wishes

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @Fred2
I arranged for a carephone system to be installed for dad, through his Local Authority Adult Services (cost much less and they maintained it) - I think this may be the up to date version
https://thecarephone.com/
it didn't tie up the landline, so calls in and out were fine - if dad pressed the pendant alarm an operator spoke to him, and he did respond positively to that - they did not mind how many times he pressed the button in error or just 'to test it' as he said, the operator was always pleasant with him - the operator could also call me and/or emergency services if they were concerned - it was also linked to a door monitor, so came into play, after an agreed time, if dad left the door open - and he wore a tracker watch too