Mixed dementia

Gail G

Nov 17, 2023
Hallo. My husband has been diagnosed with mixed dementia. What’s worrying me at the moment is that he appears to be sleeping all through the day. He says he’s just resting his eyes. Is this normal ????

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @Gail G

Is he awake during the night?
Unfortunately, it is not unusual for people with dementia to get their day and night patterns round the wrong way or develop fractured sleeping patterns

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @Gail G.

I’m afraid it is quite common. My husband also used to say he was resting his eyes. To be honest sometimes I thought he was doing exactly that - somehow it might have been a safe place for him with his eyes closed.

Gail G

Nov 17, 2023
Welcome to the forum @Gail G.

I’m afraid it is quite common. My husband also used to say he was resting his eyes. To be honest sometimes I thought he was doing exactly that - somehow it might have been a safe place for him with his eyes closed.
Thankyou Izzy. He gets up around 11.00. Comes downstairs for breakfast, then into the sitting room, and sits there almost all day. Oh dear.

Pixie Jayne

Dec 23, 2023
Hello Gail - my husband has just been diagnosed with Mixed Dementia too - just wanted to say hello and send a hug. I’m still navigating my way through this and it’s comforting to find this forum.

Frankie147

Apr 2, 2022
My partner has vascular dementia, he often sleeps for a hour in the morning after breakfast and then straight after he has had his lunch for another couple of hours. He picks up as the day goes on

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Zoning out (as in zone-ing) my wife could go on standby for hours, as long as she could hear me talking to or the radio was on a station like Absolute 60's or 70's music from the past.
I once sat and watched her and her eyes used to flick open, if I wasn't there or out of sight I should say she'd get or shout for me. Sorry I can't help anymore than that and to say you're never alone on here.
K

Gail G

Nov 17, 2023
It’s scary isn’t it. He’s just asked me if we’re having a takeaway for lunch on Xmas day !!!!! It would be funny if it wasn’t so sad. We have family coming for lunch actually. No takeaway !!! Take care.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stephanie A