Mistake with a bakewell tart

susiecol

May 8, 2024
Been to see mum today and the home had said mum wasn't eating and only really drinking juice..
So I thought I'll take a little cake in with me - I gave mum the tiniest piece of bakewell tart and within minutes she was coughing and couldn't swallow it....after a few drinks it did go down,I let the carers I the home know and they said she would have a softer dinner.....is refusal and choking a sign of dementia worsening,plus all she wants to do is sleep and considering early days she wanted me there all the time,now she says 'you can go I want to sleep'..... each visit is sad and would love my old funny mum back

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
It is indeed sad @susiecol. I feel for you.

My husband had a problem with swallow as his dementia progressed. We had a Speech and Language Therapist (SALT) involved. They advised on diet etc. I wondered if your mum had been seen by one.

susiecol

May 8, 2024
It is indeed sad @susiecol. I feel for you.

My husband had a problem with swallow as his dementia progressed. We had a Speech and Language Therapist (SALT) involved. They advised on diet etc. I wondered if your mum had been seen by one.
I'm not sure,I know they said about a dietician and that they had the build up shake type things,but if she refuses I suppose they can't force her ..

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Been to see mum today and the home had said mum wasn't eating and only really drinking juice..
So I thought I'll take a little cake in with me - I gave mum the tiniest piece of bakewell tart and within minutes she was coughing and couldn't swallow it....after a few drinks it did go down,I let the carers I the home know and they said she would have a softer dinner.....is refusal and choking a sign of dementia worsening,plus all she wants to do is sleep and considering early days she wanted me there all the time,now she says 'you can go I want to sleep'..... each visit is sad and would love my old funny mum back
My husband was seen by salt. His swallowing was not in sync. I found tiny dry crumbs the worse as they can really tickle the throat. They advised more damper foods. Put some custard on the cake, gravy and soft foods. Assuming she is up out of bed. I have been told all sorts but with my husband it was a bit of trial and error

susiecol

May 8, 2024
My husband was seen by salt. His swallowing was not in sync. I found tiny dry crumbs the worse as they can really tickle the throat. They advised more damper foods. Put some custard on the cake, gravy and soft foods. Assuming she is up out of bed. I have been told all sorts but with my husband it was a bit of trial and error
Yeh I thought straight away - crumbly cake not a good idea. ..
Yeh mums in her chair isolated at minute as they have a bit of a chest infection outbreak...I'll ask who she's seen when I speak or visit

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Thankyou.....im sorry I upset you x
Never, ever, worry about me, mad man Dan with the flat bed van and the wife and kids are taking me down to the boat for a few days out.
I'll post from the boat tomorrow.
I take that a Bakewell tart is a type of cake, not an instruction on how to cook. K

susiecol

May 8, 2024

Never, ever, worry about me, mad man Dan with the flat bed van and the wife and kids are taking me down to the boat for a few days out.
I take that a Bakewell tart is a type of cake, not an instruction on how to cook. K
Have a lovely time ha that made me chuckle 😃

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
More than welcome, we are here for a long time not always necessarily for a good time.
We just do and say what we want say and offer help and advise where we can.
No one's here to judge you. K

Dunroamin

May 5, 2019
UK
Dont forget mi' bargepole @Kevinl 😅