Mirtazapine

Selinacroft

Oct 10, 2015
Have been talking to Dr about Dad's sleepless nights, ranting, confusion, low mood etc and he has presscribed him with 25mg of Mirtazapine.
Anyone got any experience of this medication and does it help?
I'm a little concerned that as Dad gets up frequently to use the commode (Kidney disease) he may have an accident in the night if is sleeping all through the night.

blue skies

Sep 18, 2015
Careful

Have been talking to Dr about Dad's sleepless nights, ranting, confusion, low mood etc and he has presscribed him with 25mg of Mirtazapine.
Anyone got any experience of this medication and does it help?
I'm a little concerned that as Dad gets up frequently to use the commode (Kidney disease) he may have an accident in the night if is sleeping all through the night.

I have just looked Mirtazapine on google, it does say advise your doctor if you have kidney disease !!!! so please read the article .

Samantha1977

Jan 16, 2017
My mil takes that drug. It has helped with behaviourall issues but she still wakes about about 9 times every night to use the toilet. She just has double incontinence and not any other kidney or bladder problems. She does regular relieve herself anywhere around the room even if there's a toilet. So she's calmer but still very confused.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Talking Point mobile app

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
My experience is the same as the last post. Still lots of confusion. My mum has been on 15mg for 2 years and recently because of so much night time activity, gp upped this to 30mg the last week. Last night she slept through, but this morning, a lot of pee - both sides of bed, floor and pull ups soaked and on the floor - this has always been with us so can't honestly say down to increase. It does have the desired side effect of making mum feel sleepy, so maybe I now need to be more alert about the toileting issues.

oilovlam

Aug 2, 2015
South East
Mirtazapine isn't a sleeping tablet. As far as I'm aware it's for depression.

There is a thread somewhere on here that suggested that Mirtazapine can help with sleeping....but apparently a GP shouldn't be prescribing it for that. Apparently it takes a Mental Health consultant to prescribe Mirtazapine for sleep disorders.

The Mirtazapine switches off something in the brain linked to anxiety....which can cause the trouble sleeping.

Samantha1977

Jan 16, 2017
May I add wheb we went back to the gp that mil is still not sleeping and alot of confusion and ruckus at night. Gp said if he gave a higher dose she might be calmer and less noisy at night BUT it will make her incontinence worse.
Just sharing what I know.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Talking Point mobile app

tryingmybest

May 22, 2015
Mum was only on it for 3 days as it heightened her confusion and she became immobile which are side effects with this. However everybody is different and she was put on it to lighten her mood and help her appetite. If only it had worked!! X

Selinacroft

Oct 10, 2015
Mum was only on it for 3 days as it heightened her confusion and she became immobile which are side effects with this. However everybody is different and she was put on it to lighten her mood and help her appetite. If only it had worked!! X

Similar experience here- decline over night, fell and paramedics out slurring words and talking gibberish, gp out later, taken off Mirtazapine and this evening Dad is going to try Trazopone. Reading the blurb it sounds similar with a similar list of side effects but GP said she had seen good results for some patients so fingers crossed

Did you find an alternative for your mum that helped?

tryingmybest

May 22, 2015
No I let the doctor know I had taken her off it but they didn't suggest anything else. However her mood is more settled now, it's just the poor appetite and loss of weight that's so worrying. I do hope you find something else suitable. Xx

la lucia

Jul 3, 2011
My mother has been taking Mirtazapine for about 8 months now and it's been a great success. She sleeps through the night, is more engaged with the world during the day and her agitation has diminished.

However, it's NOT a sedative, it is an SSRI and is prescribed 'off-label' for dementia for its side effects. These effects are only present at low doses.

There's quite a few threads on this already..... Folks the search button is your friend. ☺

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ACampbell